ZJ to Buggy build

rondo

rondo
not critical, just a question. why not move that engine from the zj over to the buggy? if its the sacrificial lamb and all. And why a 6.0? I've always dreamed of and wanted a buggy and i'm just curious. is the 6.0 light, so to speak?
otherwise I admire what you are doing and taking on. will be watching!

1995zj

I'm addicted
not critical, just a question. why not move that engine from the zj over to the buggy? if its the sacrificial lamb and all. And why a 6.0? I've always dreamed of and wanted a buggy and i'm just curious. is the 6.0 light, so to speak?
otherwise I admire what you are doing and taking on. will be watching!

Moving the current setup over to the new build is an option, but I want to avoid doing work twice if I can. The 5.2L in the ZJ, along with the trans and NP231 t-case are all very well used and abused....according to the oil samples. The 6.0L is quite a bit easier to get power out of than the 5.2L as well, so that's another thing I'm interested in.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Well I finally got the garage setup this weekend since moving here. Now that I have most everything organized, I can start on this project. Picking up the tube tomorrow.

garage.jpg

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
just curious on how much horse power you want in this new buggy? i dont think if your just rock crawling you need 400 to 500 horspower, are you planning to race this thing too?

RockChucker

if there is one thing i have learned, you can never have too much HP. You'll love the 6.0. I can only imagine how much better it is than my 5.3. And that's pretty good.

Mcamish01

Carolina Crawler
Interesting build plans, should be a cool setup. I'd definitely stick with the initial plan on the 6.0. They're fairly inexpensive, make good, useable power, and have great aftermarket and GM support. Not to mention that there is lots of good tech on keeping them alive in racing apps, and how to make significant power upgrades for reasonable coin. Good luck with the build!

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I guess it would be smarter to go with a 1UZ-fe?

Yes that would be a smart choice sense you can also get lots of horsepower out of it very easy or not and its light weight, but that wasnt really what i was getting at. If i was building a buggy for rock crawling only in stay around 250hp, enough to get over anything you need to but not cause traction problems, if ty is going for a dual purpose rig for racing and rock crawling then i can see wanting 400hp, i just dont think more HP solves anything unless you want to go fast and race that is all.