ZJ to Buggy build

1995zj

I'm addicted
Hey all, so after much thought I have decided to build myself a tube chassis and use my current ZJ (build thread here) as a donor rig for the buggy. The ZJ is just too heavy and in order to get it anywhere near where I would like, it would take a shit-ton of work...not that a buggy won't, if anything it'll be more work/time, but I think I'll be happier with the end result.

I'm planning to build this to Ultra4 specs, just in case I ever get the urge to try my luck and race in one...however, it'll mostly be a trail-rig so I will build it to serve that purpose foremost.

Specs that I'm shooting for:
4-seater
~109" WB
39" Krawler Reds
ORI struts
Swap in current full-hydro setup
Swap in current D60 setup
Possibly use the current 9" w/ a new housing...or just build a 14B
Power train is still undetermined, thinking 6.0 though.

I should be starting on this by the end of the month. My plan is to have the chassis done this winter, then collect needed parts next summer and swap everything next winter...

Here is the design I've come up with for it. The gray tubing is 2" .120 DOM, orange is 1.5" .120 DOM, the blue is 2" .188 Square, and black is 2" .250 Square (subframe). There will be gussets in corners that need it, and some of the tubing that isn't structural may change slightly but the bare-bones of the chassis will resemble this. According to Bend-Tech, this is a total of 211' of 2" DOM, 35' of 1.5" DOM and 34' of square for the subframe. Total weight is 675 lbs.

Capture-5.jpg

I'm open to any comments as this is my first full tube chassis design and build and I'm sure there is some criticism that I have not yet thought of.

Tyler

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good to see this thread started. :D I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how fast a chassis can come together with a hydro bender & good notcher (I'm assuming you have both).
Can't wait to see you start.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think it sucks. Real buggies use mitered tubes. There's a thread on here....

:rofl: ah, I kid. I already swooned over the sweet lines and classy look of this thing elsewhere. I'm stoked to see it come together. You are definitely done with that wadded-up, crumpled "ZJ" you've got. :D

Coco

Nnnnnoooooo! That cool but I love the zj!

x2!!! :(

I have ALWAYS loved your ZJ. It will be sad to see it go to its death :( dont cut the body up too much, and keep it around! This ZJ is way too cool to get rid of completely.

I do like the chassis plans tho!

UFAB

Your on the right track.

Ditch the ORIs and get some quad bypass adjustable air shocks.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Looks cool, but what do you anticipate the GVWR of this new buggy will be?
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?20821-ZJ-weight-more-discussion-needed-flipoff
:D

What influenced your decision to go 116"wb?

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Just find a way to attach the front fenders and hood from the ZJ. Keeps it ZJ and you can remove the sheetmetal for comp...

1995zj

I'm addicted
Hahaha, I think it's a great move with the parts you have. Good luck.

Thanks Bart, I'd love to have your input along the way seeing as you've built and sold what.....9 buggies now? hahaha

Nnnnnoooooo! That cool but I love the zj!
x2!!! :(

I have ALWAYS loved your ZJ. It will be sad to see it go to its death :( dont cut the body up too much, and keep it around! This ZJ is way too cool to get rid of completely.

I do like the chassis plans tho!

Yeah, I love the ZJ too, but it's just too damn heavy and not the best platform being unibody an

Your on the right track.

Ditch the ORIs and get some quad bypass adjustable air shocks.

Suspension is still in the works, but I have loved what I've seen/read about the ORI's...

Looks cool, but what do you anticipate the GVWR of this new buggy will be?
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?20821-ZJ-weight-more-discussion-needed-flipoff
:D

What influenced your decision to go 116"wb?

-_- haha at least 30% more than the ZJ.

Mainly the longer wheelbase is due to the 4-seater. I have however reworked the buggy dimensions to a ~109" wheelbase.

how much weight would 1 3/4 .120 wall save if you used it instead of 2"

There is only a 90lbs difference if the entire chassis was done in 1.75" .120 DOM vs 2" .120 DOM, and I know I'll be over 4401lbs seeing as 50% of the KOH guys are over that in their 2-seaters.

Just find a way to attach the front fenders and hood from the ZJ. Keeps it ZJ and you can remove the sheetmetal for comp...

I definitely want to skin it in some sort of GC skins....I really like the WK lines. Haven't decided yet though.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Alright, based on some input I've made some changes to the chassis. Shortened the whole chassis up as much as I can and was able to get a shorter wheelbase for better cone-dodging. My currently rig is 112" so I think I'll like the ~109" wheelbase. And being that I'll most likely be keeping the 9" rear, I will probably just stick with the 39" Reds for a while. 42's mean new wheels, and if there is a 6.0 powering this...that's going to put quite a bit of stress on my parts.

The grey tube being 2" .120 DOM, orange 1.5" .120 DOM, green is 1.5" .188 DOM, black is 2" .250 square.

Chassis Narrow Dimensions.JPG

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think 109" is magic for UT. Not too short, not too long. If you need to upgrade your axles to handle that 6.0, you know where I'm at. :D

Also, I have to say again that I really like the lines of this thing. Carry on. ;)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ty, just a personal observation: Wrangler tubs are 56" wide. I might shoot for 54" width. I've sometimes wished my rig was narrower overall....

And it will still be comfy as a trail-able rig without knocking elbows, since you & your girl aren't exactly "wide."

Last edited:

1995zj

I'm addicted
Ty, just a personal observation: Wrangler tubs are 56" wide. I might shoot for 54" width. I've sometimes wished my rig was narrower overall....

And it will still be comfy as a trail-able rig without knocking elbows, since you & your girl aren't exactly "wide."

Wrangler tubs are 59" wide, I have the chassis setup to be 54" wide though then added some side steps/rock sliders that can take a bit more abuse than the .120 wall.