SXS, which one???

Caleb

We have put an offer in on a cabin and we will need to get sleds or atvs to be able to a access it in the winter. We want to do a SXS and add some tracks to it. We'll need either a 4 seater or two two seaters (like the idea of having two in the case that one gets stuck, etc but having a four seater would be fun to have everyone together).

I don't want to do a "Utility" type one, (Ranger, Teryx, etc). I'm considering either a Wildcat or a Rzr. I know there are several on here very familiar with SXS, so help me know the pros and cons of each. It will never be a desert runner, or taken to the dunes. It'll be used for getting in and out of our cabin in the Winter (primary use), for tail riding (Arapeen trail system will be out our door), and cruising around our property. We'll likely add a plow to it for Winter, but we may just get a Kubota or similar for those duties.

For my uses, any reason not to consider one of the more narrow ones (like the Wildcat Trail)? I like the idea of a bit narrower stance for more trails access and for transporting.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm loving our new xp4 1000. No regrets over not going with a different model.

Caleb

Those Trax rob a ton of power. Make sure what ever you go with can spin those plus you want to make sure the the model won't eat belts

That's part of what I'm worried about with the trail edition ones. They're 700-900cc is all. Probably enough to get us in, but I don't know if I'll be "playing" with them with in the snow. I also have thought about getting a sled kit for my 501 :D That could be fun too but would still need a SXS for the rest of my family.

D

Deleted member 12904

:cool: Why did you decide to go with the xp4 over say the 4x?
After owning a rhino and a TERYX I'll never own another SXS with an engine mounted between the seats. It loud, hot and a pain in the ass to get to. I went with Polaris for several reasons, they are the most popular making parts easy to get. Auto parts store stock belts for these now. They come with the power and suspension I wanted. I like the way you sit in them and the way they drive. And I think they look much better than the wildcat.

If you want to come out and drive it you can.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
XP4 1000 here as well. Never even considered anything else. Tons of power, great suspension, comfortable. My family of 6 has no problem hitting all the popular trails in Moab. Come test drive if you'd like.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am not very impressed with the durability of the Arctic Cat motors. I know a few people who own or have owned different models and they definitely are not as durable. I have always been a fan of the Rotax motor but the Polaris are going to have a lot more aftermarket support.

D

Deleted member 12904

I also like the rotax engine. I'm just not a fan of then engine between the seats and the noise and heat it brings. Also not a fan of the much higher center of gravity the can am has. I have a friend with a turbo maverick and it deffinetly doesn't corner nearly as well as a rzr and a turbo rzr with me (extra 230lbs) will still smoke the can can in a drag race with no passenger in the can am.

Caleb

Thanks guys, good feedback. I grew up with my family having Sea-Doo wave runners so the "rotax" has alway been something I'm familiar with. However, call me vain, but I don't care for the looks of the Mavericks. I think you guys have convinced me to go with the xp4, now to start searching :) I don't need it for a couple months, so I'm going to take my time and find the right deal.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'm a big fan of the RZR, go anywhere and you will see them more than any other SXS. Articat, well they suck. The Can am is something to keep an eye on, they seem to be becoming more popular.

Don't ever think you wont use the SXS for something other than running in and out of the cabin with, if you take it to the dunes once, you will be hooked. I run both mine in Moab, mountains, dunes and we do a ton of snow bashing.

There is a huge recall going on right now with some of the 2013-2016 models so check the recall list before buying used.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PS, I have an XP900 and it has bling and every cool thing I could buy for it. Yes, if I could afford it I would get the Turbo XP1000. But, if you are looking to keep the cost lower, the XP900 is a good machine with good power. I also have a 800S, don't bother buying an 800 they just don't have the power.

IMO

lhracing

I have a RZR XP1000 (2 seat) and can highly recommend them. The have good power and the suspension is great, Polaris makes a great machine. Make sure the Safety Recalls are installed and NEVER carry a gas can in the bed.

NYCEGUY01

While I love my RZR 1000 my Father in Law just bought the new Polaris General 1000.

TONS of torque and a very capable machine. Its right between sporty and utility.

I bet it would turn tracks like no tomorrow.

It will be a very capable mountain trail machine and will push a plow etc..

If you truly aren't gonna spend much time , if any, in the dunes then get the General instead of the Cat or RZR.
Get the Orange one. It costs $1500 more but you are getting $3000 worth of FOX shocks with it.

Last edited:

NYCEGUY01

2017 models show a 4 seater General as well.....
Should be a great machine.

Looks like all new colors as well. Just make sure you get the one with the better shocks.
The Sachs shocks are garbage.

Yup. A new 4 seater General and a 1000 Ranger XP were unveiled at the dealer show in Nashville last night. I didn't get to go this year, but my co-worker is there.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I would say for what you want from it you would be happiest with a RZR. Lots of aftermarket support and a very good base to start from.

Me personally I'd like to try the Yamaha YXZ1000r.