Farmington to Morgan, possible?

DAA

Negative. Used to know a couple old timers that claimed it used to be possible via Hardscrabble. But I've never seen any evidence to support the claim and that's all private anyway.

- DAA

S-10Dave

I was cruising around up there this morning in my AWD 03 Astro, could see Morgan but no road, once home tried Google maps, not much.
Can't be any private property, that's all Forest Service lands.
I know it's been hiked, and they didn't get shot nor sued nor arrested, so no worries about trespassing. It was on a tv show, one of the hikers is a friend of mine, he said they didn't need any permits, their film crew was on quads, but my wife is too well fed for a quad.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It is possible via Hardscrabble, however the route IS private property and you should respect that. It is posted all over.
You will need written permission from the land owners. Not only that but you'd need a significantly more capable vehicle to travel the route. I've had to rescue a built Bronco II on locked and geared full size Bronco axles with 35's from the entrance to hard scrabble. I hardly call it a route much less than even two track.
Not saying it can't be done but in the 4 years I've tried; I've yet to get permission. The main problem is there are multiply privately owned properties it passes through and you'd need permission from each of them.

Rather than take the word of a "friend" consider looking over property land maps and research real and factual sources.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I took my JK over Hard Scrabble a couple years ago as an honest mistake. I fit but barely and I got some pin striping as a souvenir. At one point there was a hard right turn on the trail with a soft shoulder and I kind of slid off the path. I used my hi-lift and tow straps to try and maintain a line to get back on the road which more or less worked. Right after that point the path opened up and I saw the first "private property" sign. I really didn't want to go back the same way and crossed my fingers that I could get through but I found a locked gate not much further down the path and had to back anyway. I posted about that adventure here so maybe search for it and you'd find it. That was the second time I did a self recovery with a hi-lift, I've decided I don't want to do those anymore. lol.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You're fine up until the gate, I think, but it definitely is a hairy off camber place to have to turn around.

From looking at maps the other day I believe there is a legitimate hiking route from that area (Hardscrabble) on the ridge line all the way to emigration canyon. I'd like to try it sometime, but it may be too late in the season for that.

Last edited:

DAA

You're fine up until the gate, I think, but it definitely is a hairy off camber place to have to turn around.

From looking at maps the other day I believe there is a legitimate hiking route from that area (Hardscrabble) on the ridge line all the way to emigration canyon. I'd like to try it sometime, but it may be too late in the season for that.

I've done that hike several times. The main trail passes through a short section of private, but there is a bypass that has become well established. During deer season there is usually a guard present to make you go around. Had just short of an altercation with the guard once, about ten years ago. I was packing out a buck I'd killed on public and I hadn't set one foot on the private. Had already gone around it, in fact and was re-joining the main trail where the guard (armed) was posted. He started in on me that I had poached the deer and he was going to call the sheriff, blah-blah-blah. Short story made shorter, I told him he better call the sheriff immediately because if he didn't either call or get out of my way he was going to have a hard time talking with a throat full of his own busted teeth. He got out of my way...

- DAA

DAA

Sidetrack... I was thinking of trying to get to the top of Grandview peak via that route last month. But time got away from me. Not going to happen this year but I still want to try it next summer.

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
For a visual representation of that "trail".

qik3ib4l.jpg

And trying to not roll down the mountain.

lCSgCy0l.jpg

DAA

Little bit of snow up there right now. Autumn colors too. Really pretty. Yesterday I walked from Mueller park up to the snow line and back down. Nice walk.

- DAA

DAA

I went up the Kenny creek side. Kept going way past the cabin. Was a little muddy in the morning but noticeably drier by the time I came back down. The Rudy Flat trail looked busy as usual. It's the north facing side but the trail isn't as shaded so I'd guess it's not very wet by this afternoon.

- DAA