Toyota 00-06 Tundras

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh goody another what vehicle is best for me post :eek: Truth be told I've driven the Ford half a dozen times in the last year and only 'needed' it for hauling once. I don't even own a trailer :eek: While it is an outstanding pickup in some ways it simply does not fit on the trails I like to explore and it's a horrible daily driver compared to the CR-V. As for the Cruiser it has been my dream rig without question and while it does everything very well I'm starting to miss not having a pickup bed for things like fire wood, gas cans, dirt bikes, stinky fishing gear, two large stinky wet dogs, float tubes, poopy diapers, sleeping platform for more than 1 person etc. the list goes on and on. I'm to the point I need some expensive items to fit my family and our camping gear inside of it. I thought having two large 4x4 vehicles would be a good thing and provide options but it turns out to be more of a headache financially at this point. I'm afraid if I sold the F350 I would regret it. It has a lot of somewhat rare and desirable features which would make it difficult to replace (5speed, kingpin Dana 60 front, mechanical turbo diesel, 4x4, crew cab) if selling it turned out to be a mistake.

I really do want to simplify things. After a long talk with the wife (she remains neutral in these situations--smart lady :D) I think one needs to go which got me thinking maybe they both need to go? If I could combine the 100 with the F350 I think I would end up with a first gen V8 Tundra with a shell on the back. I think the access cabs shorter wheelbase would be better for 4wheeling? I don't expect it to be quite as capable as the 100 nor do I expect it to haul loads like the Ford but it might be a good compromise between the two. Are two young kids going to be ok riding in an access cab for the next few years or do I 'need' the double cab? Push button transfer case raises a red flag and to be honest I think the interior is hideous. Did those ever have an e-locker? I would like a rear locker at minimum.. You guy's know what type of 4wheeling I enjoy I'd hate to get one and think wow this thing is a battleship I should have kept the Ford.

I have a bad habit of talking myself into things during this time of year. This has sounded pretty good for the last few weeks but I don't want to make a big mistake. What are your thoughts?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think you'll end up with a hole between the Tundra and the CRV.

Would a Jumping Jack or off road trailer with an RTT satisfy your need for more space in the 80?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
About a year ago I set out to purchase one of these. We test drove about a dozen of them. The price for them was better than the tacoma for the same year. We found some decent trucks but I just couldn't get over the poor gas mileage they get. That and I think they are ugly was the deal breaker for me on them. Some come with a bench front seat which I didn't like.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I think you'll end up with a hole between the Tundra and the CRV.

Would a Jumping Jack or off road trailer with an RTT satisfy your need for more space in the 80?

You're probably right. Good call, I've considered an off road trailer a few times. I just think it would end up being an anchor.. I dunno maybe with the right suspension and such it could work out. It would be nice to have a place to throw gas cans, water jugs, poopy diapers lol, etc.. One of the major reasons I dislike the Ford is turning around on tight icy mountain roads. I think a trailer would add to the pucker factor quite a bit. This is all speculation I don't have any experience with off road trailers. I need to do some homework.

About a year ago I set out to purchase one of these. We test drove about a dozen of them. The price for them was better than the tacoma for the same year. We found some decent trucks but I just couldn't get over the poor gas mileage they get. That and I think they are ugly was the deal breaker for me on them. Some come with a bench front seat which I didn't like.

I hear ya on that one. The mileage is probably comparable to the 100 series (poor) but they are ugly especially the interior and I'm usually not that picky when it comes to such things so that's saying a lot haha.

O'neal

?????????
I loved my '02 access cab and had no problem pulling 20-22mpg on the highway but the leg room and seating in the back was really uncomfortable,that was my only complaint with it.My old previous 03 quadcab taco sucked for mileage and my current 2012 is just as bad.

sixstringsteve

I have a bad habit of talking myself into things during this time of year. This has sounded pretty good for the last few weeks but I don't want to make a big mistake. What are your thoughts?

Same here. Winter gets depressing and I always think a new rig will fix it.

As for the Cruiser it has been my dream rig without question and while it does everything very well I'm starting to miss not having a pickup bed for things like fire wood, gas cans, dirt bikes, stinky fishing gear, two large stinky wet dogs, float tubes, poopy diapers, sleeping platform for more than 1 person etc. the list goes on and on. I thought having two large 4x4 vehicles would be a good thing and provide options but it turns out to be more of a headache financially at this point.

I totally understand and agree.

I'm afraid if I sold the F350 I would regret it. It has a lot of somewhat rare and desirable features which would make it difficult to replace (5speed, kingpin Dana 60 front, mechanical turbo diesel, 4x4, crew cab) if selling it turned out to be a mistake.

I agree. That is a cool and unique truck. If you do replace the 100, I'd hang onto that ford for a few months just so you can feel it out. It'd be so hard to find another one like it, and with the money left over from the 100 you should be able to afford the next rig without issues.

If I could combine the 100 with the F350 I think I would end up with a first gen V8 Tundra with a shell on the back. I think the access cabs shorter wheelbase would be better for 4wheeling? I don't expect it to be quite as capable as the 100 nor do I expect it to haul loads like the Ford but it might be a good compromise between the two.

I agree. One interesting thing about the 1st gen Tundras is that the access cab and the quad cab share almost no body parts. The fenders, bed, doors, mirrors, lights, are different between the two. I'd think a quad cab would just end up feeling like your f350. It'd be big and bulky on the trail.

Are two young kids going to be ok riding in an access cab for the next few years or do I 'need' the double cab?

They'd probably be ok. I don't like how upright the seats are in the access cab. My buddy has one, and it's fine for short trips under and hour, but after an hour it gets REALLY uncomfortable back there. Kids may be different, but the angle of the back doesn't recline enough.

Push button transfer case raises a red flag and to be honest I think the interior is hideous. Did those ever have an e-locker? I would like a rear locker at minimum..

I'm not too worried about the push button t-case. My taco has one and I love it. 230k strong with no issues. As long as they engaged 4wd regularly (as in once or twice a year) I wouldn't worry about it much. Unfortunately they never came with an elocker, so you'd have to go with an ARB. I seem to recall that the front suspension is identical to a tacoma, only they use heavier springs. They have a bunch of ground clearance, and I can't seem to understand why they never caught on with the expo crowd. The motors are beasts (as you know), the bed is nice and big, but the truck isn't huge. The interiors aren't the sexiest, but I don't buy a vehicle because the dash looks nice, I buy it because it's capable and dependable.

You guy's know what type of 4wheeling I enjoy I'd hate to get one and think wow this thing is a battleship I should have kept the Ford.

I think the 4-door would end up being a battleship, but the access cab would be the right dimensions. I will say that the suicide doors would be a major pain, since you have to open the front door to get someone in the back. A few more random thoughts.

If you get a tundra, get the '05-06 models. They changed a tranny and got better MPG and had some other improvements as well (bigger brakes, and some other stuff I can't remember).

I got 20-22 mpg (24 mpg best recorded) in my 2001 doublecab. I drive like a grandpa. I never push the pedal to the metal and I ease on the accelerator. I honestly got better than 20 mpg all the time before I modified it. Now I'm getting 16-17 mpg with 35's and 5.29s. A 1st gen doublecab may not be for you, but I think the uber expensive 2nd gen could be a great rig for your needs (aside from having a bed long enough for a sleeping platform).

Have you considered a Nissan Titan? I love those trucks. They get crappy MPG (probably similar to your 100 series now) and some of them came with the elocker in the rear. They've got a v8 as well, and they seem to be fantastic trucks. I almost went that route. Much more room inside than a tundra, and not tons bigger on the outside. I think a titan with a 2" OME lift, 35's and the elocker would be awesome.

sixstringsteve

I think a sweet rig would be a chevy colorado with the 4.3 and a sas (or even mild ifs lift). I wonder why we don't see more of those rigs built up.

Or what about a roof rack for the 100, where you can put stinky stuff?

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I loved my '02 access cab and had no problem pulling 20-22mpg on the highway but the leg room and seating in the back was really uncomfortable,that was my only complaint with it.My old previous 03 quadcab taco sucked for mileage and my current 2012 is just as bad.

Have a hard time believing that mpg since they are only rated at 16 mpg on the highway for the v8. All the ones I test drove the owners said they were lucky to even see 14 mpg on the highway.

Also the 05's+ made a jump in hp. I can't remember but it seems like it was 30+ more for the 4.7

Last edited:

193kyle

My wife drives an 05 Tundra access cab and we have really liked it. We have put 50k miles on it in the last 3 years with no issues and typically get 17-19 mpg out of it. I would definitely recommend an 05 or 06 with the 5 speed auto and the vvti motor. It is a really fun truck to drive and is plenty capable for mild offroading. I think the TRD package came with a limited slip in the rear, but I would buy a non TRD and put an ARB in it. We also have a 01 Tacoma double cab and for daily driving I would rather be in the Tundra as it is more comfortable and has way more power, but the Taco is much more capable offroad.

spencevans

Overlander
For kids the back seat should be fine. I am 6' 8" and I grew up in the backseat of a 1990 Chevy extended cab z71. With the rear doors it is even more functional than those older style extended cabs. Today's kids are so spoiled.

So I to was looking at getting a Gen I Tundra a little while back and I determined that the 2005-2006 were the models to get because of the significant increase in power. Personally I think the best model would be the 2005-06 4.0L V-6 with the 6 speed manual.The 4.0L V-6 made 240hp while the 2000-04 4.7L V8 only made 245hp. The manual transmission also had a manually shifted transfer case unlike the V8 models that had the push button activated 4wd. Most owner also report a significant gain in MPG with the V6/6speed combo over the V8/auto combo. Just something to think about.

O'neal

?????????
Have a hard time believing that mpg since they are only rated at 16 mpg on the highway for the v8. All the ones I test drove the owners said they were lucky to even see 14 mpg on the highway.

Also the 05's+ made a jump in hp. I can't remember but it seems like it was 30+ more for the 4.7

Key was to let it run and not push it....Cant expect good economy running 80+down the highway,stop and go in the city would suck also.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Great help everybody thank you :cool:

I didn't realize you could get a 1st gen Tundra with a manual trans--that's cool. I looked on KSL and there was one but it's a 2wd reg cab. I'm guessing they are fairly rare.

Ugh this is driving me nuts I can't quit thinking about it haha :rolleyes: All things considered one thing remains constant which is I have a very hard time imagining selling the Ford. While it's needy at times it really has been an outstanding vehicle, I've done a lot of work to it and I've become pretty attached to it sentimentally. I don't think I'd be happy replacing it with a 2nd gen Tundra or Titan or much of anything else in the way of full-size pickups. It's just too simple and cheap to work on, great power, the drivetrain is very stout and and it sips the fuel especially off road. I was thinking the 1st gen Tundra would be a good replacement because it would likely be better suited in more technical offroading. That being said the only trips I've done in the last few years that the Ford would have sucked at was my trip to Moab on Thanksgiving and a few snow runs up Providence Canyon. As much fun as we had we didn't 'need' to do the harder trails... We would have had and usually do have fun either way. Thinking out loud again lol.

The 100 definitely needs a roof rack for all our stuff. With a family of four and two large dogs we use up a lot of space. Fuel is another issue, not so much economy but range. Off road I'd be pushing it to get ~250miles per tank so I need to figure out a safe way to carry 10-15 extra gallons of fuel. Every multi-day trip I've taken it on I've been uncomfortable and worried about running out of gas. A Long Ranger fuel tank would be the best solution however it is very expensive and it requires relocating the spare tire which in turn requires a very expensive custom rear bumper. Jerry cans on the roof or on a custom bumper would work ok I suppose. The Ford has a range of ~450 miles and a 36 gallon rear tank upgrade comes in at a whopping $150 shipped (52 gallons total somewhere around 800+ miles per fill up :eek:) no problems there haha.

That, the weird booming noise which has somewhat subsided and not having a truck bed are really my only complaints with the 100. It's very comfortable and predictable off road. It has exceeded my expectations in every way. I worry about things like the outrageously expensive brake booster or starter failing and leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere but I try to not loose sleep over it. I dunno maybe I'm getting old. Seems like a few years ago I couldn't care less about this sort of thing. I'd load up the Rot Box and hit the road bound for wherever. Anyway thanks again and sorry for the novel of rambling,

Andrew