01 Taco kill switch question

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Ok so I'm going to put a kill switch on my tacoma I just bought. I saw a slick setup using a reed switch (you pass a magnet over it to close the circuit) that I think I'm going to do. Now I either want to do this to the EFI circuit or to the hot lead going to the ECU. I'm leaning towards the EFI circuit though. So my question for the TOY gurus is where's the best place to splice into the EFI circuit? Any wiring diagrams or pics would be very helpful.

KToy

i know a guy that just spliced his ignition key wire into his park light wire and you could not start his truck unless you turned his park lights on first.

he never got his truck stolen.

but to you question i dont know the best spot.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
V6?

There should be a connector at the base of steering column (behind the dash) that comes from the ignition switch. The black wire (top right if male connector, top left if female) supplies power to the position switches and then the starter relay. You can interrupt that circuit with a switch.

There is also a wire harness near that connector with, among other things, a splice in another power source to the start relay. White wire to white wire. A switch in either wire should work.

There are other possibilites, too.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Fade2Black said:
V6?

There should be a connector at the base of steering column (behind the dash) that comes from the ignition switch. The black wire (top right if male connector, top left if female) supplies power to the position switches and then the starter relay. You can interrupt that circuit with a switch.

There is also a wire harness near that connector with, among other things, a splice in another power source to the start relay. White wire to white wire. A switch in either wire should work.

There are other possibilites, too.

I don't want to kill the starter, I want to kill the fuel. So if someone gets in and gets it cranking 1) they bail thinking its a piece of crap, 2) it'll make some noise and maybe catch someones ear.

I've got the V6, I'd like to find a place off the fuse box to splice into so its not obvious if somone's toying around under the dash.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
onetuff76 said:
I don't want to kill the starter, I want to kill the fuel. So if someone gets in and gets it cranking 1) they bail thinking its a piece of crap, 2) it'll make some noise and maybe catch someones ear.

I've got the V6, I'd like to find a place off the fuse box to splice into so its not obvious if somone's toying around under the dash.

I see.

The circuit opening relay is tucked under the left side of the dash, beneath the big fuse block. That is the most direct source of power for the fuel pump. It would be easy to disable and the modification could be made undetectable. White and red wire going in, solid blue is power to the fuel pump.

grntaco

onetuff76 said:
could you scan me in a pic of the fuse box diagram to the EFI system?
Do you just have the Haynes manual or do you have a Toyota manual?

I have the Toyota factory manual. Its for a 99 but it should be the same wiring so I will scan it tonight and email it.

way2nosty

Be Careful!

I would advise against putting your safety switch on the ECU the reason being is consider what would happen driving down the freeway at 90 miles an hour in heavy traffic and your motor just dies because your safety switch fails and there isn't much you can do about it. It does the same thing to add a relay to the supply side of your starter solenoid. Locks are only to keep honest people honest, for the rest of us that lock will do little more then slow us down, no matter where you put it.

Nosty.

anvil

I'm not too familiar with Toyota fuel injection, but won't removing power from the ECU reset the memory? Every time you turn it off the ECU will have to recalibrate itself.

grntaco

The manual did not have much wiring diagrams so I could not find one that you would need. There is a different manual with just the diagrams in it. But I would run the switch down the line of the EFI fuse under the dash or the relay in the fuse box under the hood. With it connected to the ECU it would reset the computer each time.