'01 Tacoma question

addifan

How hard is it to re-gear the rear axle (it has the stock rear locker) on a '01 TRD Tacoma?

What gearing would you use if you wanted to run 35"s?

Caleb

Well, since it has the locker I would assume its 4wd, in that case you dont want to regear the rear alone unless you are going to be running way different sized tires...

not real familiar with Toys but I ahve heard they are easier to do that Dana stuff...and I would recommend 4.56 or 4.88 for 35s...also depends on if you have an auto or manual.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Go with 4.88s. The third members are conceptually easy to do. There are bearing adjusters for the backlash (just screw them in or out to adjust backlash and preload), but pinion depth can be some trial and error. Without a press it could get tedious. I had Rocklogic do my install for $100, after I brought in the third member. So, is this a Pre-runner, or 4x4?

addifan

suv said:
Go with 4.88s. The third members are conceptually easy to do. There are bearing adjusters for the backlash (just screw them in or out to adjust backlash and preload), but pinion depth can be some trial and error. Without a press it could get tedious. I had Rocklogic do my install for $100, after I brought in the third member. So, is this a Pre-runner, or 4x4?

It's a 4x4, my buddy want's to put a lift on it and run 35"s

MattL

addifan said:
How hard is it to re-gear the rear axle (it has the stock rear locker) on a '01 TRD Tacoma?

What gearing would you use if you wanted to run 35"s?

what about the front?
how much does it cost to do the fron or you thinking of ditching the ifs and going solid?

addifan

miatre said:
what about the front?
how much does it cost to do the fron or you thinking of ditching the ifs and going solid?

We were just wondering about the rear because of the stock locker. My buddy would leave the stock front axle and re-gear it.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
The locker is actuated by a shift fork that sits just outside one of the bearing caps. This fork slides a splined sleeve between the carrier and one of the side gears to engage. There is nothing to mess up unless you remove the motor from the housing (not required for gears). Even then, the worst you could do is get the gear a few teeth off so it wouldn't fully engage (or disengage). When you put things back together, there's really no way you can do it wrong.