Toyota 04 toyota tacoma double cab good, bad, and whats out there for them

gertsch

hey i'm looking at buy an 04 tacoma double cab and want to know good places to get aftermarket parts for it and common things to upgrade on them your input would be swell thx.

Caleb

Is it stock? If it is and you want to lift it, I suggest the Old Man Emu kit, you can get that from Cruiser Outfitters. I've also heard that the rear part of the frame is weak if you plan to tow or carry anything in the rear hitch so you can get frame plates that you weld on to strengthen it. Depending on your intended use, you may want to add some type of slider. Other than that, run it. They are awesome trucks, I love my 03 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Another popular upgrade for them is bumpers. I like the Shrockworks bumper but I bet the ARB is the most popular.

sixstringsteve

Go to ttora.com, they're pretty nuts about those. THey are great trucks. Here's a video of mine in Moab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ONKFkJHkzY

Everyone will say that you shouldn't run puck spacers, but they are a cheap way to lift it, and they work pretty well. I'm running alcan springs in the rear and 2.5" icon coilovers in the front.

First thing I would get would be sliders since they're so long. Then I'd get a rear bumper. It's pretty amazing what a stock tacoma with some armor will do.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Buy a TRD model with the factory e-locker, weld on a set of sliders, plate the rear frame, slap on a 1" body lift and hook up with Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters or Steve @ Sonoransteel.com.

A set of 255/85 or 285/75/16's and you'll be set!

ttora.com or yotatech.com are your best web resources

gertsch

right now its bone stock trd. i was thinking a leveling kit sliders and the biggest tires i can run with that. I know there pretty capable rigs from my friend driving one on steel bender with us and u ran most of the lines i did in my old jeep. anyways yes i figured sliders for sure since i'd like to keep the rockers dent free. so ttora ok sounds great and thanks for the help people if u have any more ideas let me know thx.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

one word of warning about TTORA. it's a great site with tons of useful info. Just take everything with a grain of salt. They will mostly try to push you for the biggest lift they can. But tons of useful info on there.

gertsch

haha good to know good to know. I only plan on running trials like steel bender and kane creek and i did those in a stock x package 09 wrangler just fine so i know the toy can do it