04 Toyota TRD question

ALF

SURE!?
My dad has a 04 TRD and he's wndering how to get more power when towing. All stock and all he ever tows is a little trailer with his polaris 500 on it. Of course I told he he should have kept his GMC but :p

Any suggestions?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Is it an auto or manual? I've heard the Tacoma autos suck the power big time, even with a supercharged V6.

I'd say the usual... focus on the intake, exhaust, mabey a chip.

If that isn't enough, I'd look into getting the supercharger to spin a little faster. I'm sure you can find an aftermarket pulley that's a little smaller. I doubt it'll be a mod that works with the warrenty though. I don't know how much boost the stock config. makes, but you'll have to be careful. Too much boost builds heat, which kills power. Also, the addition of an intercooler might help, especially if you spin the blower faster.

I did a quick search & came up with this-

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/0501mt_tacoma/

ALF

SURE!?
Greg said:
Is it an auto or manual? I've heard the Tacoma autos suck the power big time, even with a supercharged V6.

If that isn't enough, I'd look into getting the supercharger to spin a little faster. I'm sure you can find an aftermarket pulley that's a little smaller. I doubt it'll be a mod that works with the warrenty though. I don't know how much boost the stock config. makes, but you'll have to be careful. Too much boost builds heat, which kills power. Also, the addition of an intercooler might help, especially if you spin the blower faster.

I did a quick search & came up with this-

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/0501mt_tacoma/

Thanks Greg I'll let him know and yes it is a auto :D

sportytj

What TRDs are wonderful trucks id much rather have that than a full size gmc or chev or ranger/s10,nissan crap. I have towed with my now ex trd many times `17ft alum boat loaded up. It will do 60 any darn time it wanted, my CRD jeep liberty will go faster but likes 60 to 65 with the auto.

laddy

www.urdusa.com
These guys are the authority on getting the most out of your TRD charger.
They got a truck getting 300 rwhp with the auqua mist set up and super charger.
They are currently testing a turbo kit.

They also make the equalivlent to a shift kit for the auto tranny, which should help.

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Greg said:

[Air] intakes are basically worthless for the Tacoma and have actually been proven to reduce power.

The intake manifold is no longer present on the supercharged Tacos as the blower replaces the manifold.

Also, the addition of an intercooler might help, especially if you spin the blower faster.

I've heard from many 3.4 S/C gurus that the Eaton roots-type blower cannot be teamed with a intercooler.