'06 Ford PSD vs. '06 Dodge CTD

CoreyT

So, I think I've got the wife talked into letting me get a new truck. Through work I get a fleet discount on both Ford and Dodge so I am mainly looking at those two. I am looking at 3/4 ton diesels and there are things about both trucks that I like and dislike, so I am looking for some input on pros and cons. The truck will be my daily driver (40 miles a day) and occasional tow vehicle (mostly my 4-runner, dirt bikes, 21' boat, etc.). I plan on installing some minor power upgrades and a leveling kit with probably 35's. I currently have a '00 F250 PSD super cab short bed that I really like, but I want to upgrade for the following reasons:
1- want the crew cab
2-want to get away from the dana 50 front axle with inherent steering issues and front leaf springs
3-want the quieter new motor (plus better fuel economy and a little more power is always nice)

Also, my current truck is an automatic and I think I want to stick with an auto again, but are there any benefits of going with a manual tranny? While I can understand and respect brand loyalty, I'm looking for objective input. Thanks in advance.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
My standard reply is....I like the Ford truck better and the Cummins motor better. I drive a 95 Ford....When I was looking I just went with what ever I could get the best deal on....Thanks Holmer:greg:

2006, I think I might lean towards the Dodge....

Caleb

rckcrlr said:
My standard reply is....I like the Ford truck better and the Cummins motor better. I drive a 95 Ford....When I was looking I just went with what ever I could get the best deal on....Thanks Holmer:greg:

2006, I think I might lean towards the Dodge....

this is exactly what I think, I prefer most things about the Ford but I like the Cummins better, I ended up with a 99 F350 PSD. If I were to do it agian, I would most likely buy a Dodge.

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
I recently bought a Dodge mega-cab, if your looking for more cab room you'll love it. I had a 02 Excursion with the psd, I think it had more balls off the line with a load than the dodge, but the dodge seems to hold hills better. My biggest beef with this truck is that with my foot in it towing a load the tranny seems to shift into 2nd a little too early. Other than that its a nice ride. Never had a 6.0 psd so I cant give much of an opinion on the Ford.:D

cambam

I have an 03 PSD, and dont get anywhere near 20-22 MPG. It only has 30K miles. I like the truck, and for the room, you cant beat it, that is the main reason I bought it, but I still think fords interior is cheap and "plasticky". Would I rather have the dodge? No.

Caleb

No matter how anyone drives their powerstrokes, I will still call BS on anyone that claims 20+ as an AVERAGE. If you say you have gotten as high as 21-22 fine, but as an AVERAGE :shaking:

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
In a 7.3 psd you might not be able to get 20+ but in a 6.0 it can be done.
My average is about 25% city and 75% freeway, I have averaged 21-22 on a tank, that is like I said, lightly driven, no towing or load.

Last edited:

venpick

77 fj40
my 04 psd gets 14mpg. 18 when im carefull. i agree with rckcrlr you want which ever you one gives you the best price. that cummins is bullet proof and i like my ford. all the rumors are that diesel prices are going up more.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Fat Tony said:
In a 7.3 psd you might not be able to get 20+ but in a 6.0 it can be done.
My average is about 25% city and 75% freeway, I have averaged 21-22 on a tank, that is like I said, lightly driven, no towing or load.

I've driven like an old man with an egg under the pedal. Freeway to work, never over 2000 rpm at crusing speed, no half throttle take offs, etc. 15.5 mpg (off my GPS). 7.3L with an auto. I'll give you 2 mpg to better that with a stickshift. 18 max.

I think you're on crack.

cambam

I agree with mbryson. I bought a diesel because it was going to get AWSOME milage. havent seen it so far. mine is the 6.0, and average is more like 14. The power is great, but it costs a lot.

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
The best I ever got in my psd showing on the overhead display was 17, that was on a long trip backeast 65 mph most of the time. My dodge has never been better than 15.5, but I drive it like I have a brrick tied to my foot:D

kasprzak

Yesterday 09:53 PM
Supergper No matter how anyone drives their powerstrokes, I will still call BS on anyone that claims 20+ as an AVERAGE. If you say you have gotten as high as 21-22 fine, but as an AVERAGE :shaking:

My brother has a 94.5 powerstroke straight pipe, police prep computer(former washington county sherrif's truck) f250 5 speed. 312,000 miles and he consistantly gets 26 mpg this is off a gps running 35" tires leveling kit. These trucks have to break in to get mileage. My brother inlaw with a $900 edge programmer light foot with less than 20K on his 6.0L crew cab shortbox f350 has never seen more than 16mpg gps. Cummins makes a better motor right now. I do not trust the 6.0L until I see them with 200K miles. Stick with the Cummins or buy an older first Gen Powerstroke with 150K miles for a 1/3 of the price, then you will get the mileage, you can redo the interior add heated seats, do what ever you want and get a much better truck without the expense. Newer isn't always better IMO. Our family has owned 3 powerstrokes first gen, and never been stranded once due to the trucks fault. Drive by a Ford Dealership in the morning around 7:30 how many 6.0L's do you see out there everymorning. Good luck, or just visit FordCummins.com and you solve both problems.

Dennis

tv_larsen

If you're considering the Megacab Cummins, consider steping up to the 1 ton SRW. I believe the Cummins option pushes the 2500 price tag up to approximately the same price as the 3500 where the Cummins is standard.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
kasprzak said:
My brother has a 94.5 powerstroke straight pipe, police prep computer(former washington county sherrif's truck) f250 5 speed. 312,000 miles and he consistantly gets 26 mpg this is off a gps running 35" tires leveling kit. These trucks have to break in to get mileage.
Dennis

Not trying to be mean or start a fight, or any of that, But..... (esspecialy because your cool and gave me free stuff :))
I don't believe that mpg....There is no way a OBS PSD will get 26mpg with 315's/35's As I remember, this was Hammered out on DStop too. So, what you are telling me is I will double my mpg when I double my milage.:rolleyes: Summer I average 15 in mixxed driving, 18 possible with very mellow hiway driving, 20 once 3 wheeling and empty trailer at 50 mph for about 100 miles....Winter, I get 13-14 no matter what I do....warm ups, winter additives, and never getting the motor up to temp really seems to hurt the milage.
Yes, I have all the exhaust and intake mods....even a very mellow program just for mileage. Ironically, I get the same mileage in about any of my programs except the OMG extreme one (6 pos chip)

The only thing I can figure is the guys that claim 20 regularly from a PSD must live in the flat land.

kasprzak

tell ya what, I will call my brother up and he will swap you trucks for a couple of weeks.(Jk) His is set up just like yours with less lift. both have 5speeds. Let me know if you are serious and I will set it up. Here is a calculation he averages 380 miles a tank and fills up usually 15 gallons a peice. front tank is like 16.5 and rear is like 17 I think. Usually puts in 30 gallons 800 miles divided into 30 gallons is around 25.5 mpg take into account that the speedometer has never been recalibrated to the 35" tires and what do you get, right around 30. I didn't believe either, but this truck has been through both of my brothers now and they both get the same mileage.