'06 Ford PSD vs. '06 Dodge CTD

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
jeeptjstud said:
Why is there so much worry about gas mileage in a diesel?--Its a truck--if your worried about the gas prices, buy a Geo! right?

If you cant afford diesel, you probably cant afford the truck!
Step down to a "little" guys truck

right. Geo's pull great. We're talking about tow rig here bud.

Your either not very smart financially or totally loaded if you don't weigh in fuel mileage as a consideration on a vehicle you're going to be driving and towing with. If you can cut 1 tank of gas off of your monthly bill by having a more fuel efficient truck, then you saved yourself almost 100 bucks. I don't know about you, but I can think of a ton of ways to spend 100 bucks every month aside from fueling up my truck.

My solution was I bought a commuter car. It's no Geo, but it gets 35 mpg and I'm in it under 500 bucks. Saves me 6 bucks every day I drive it to work instead of my truck. :D

Cody

JaredMD

What it comes down to is whatever truck you like. Your driving style determines your gas mileage correct? I can get 22mpg out of my 500hp/975tq CTD or 9mpg out of it.

I wouldnt ever buy a PSD or a D-max even if they got 100 mpg--I could never afford the repairs.....thats just me though.

Last edited:

zukgod1

Senior crawler
I was reading my new Petersons Off Road mag and there is a good artical in there on the 6.0 PSD.
They talked about how unreliable the 6.0 has been compaired to the D Max and Cummins.

The moral of the story was this;

Buy a Cummins.

dan

ut4x4Bronco

BigHunkenBronco
zukgod1 said:
I was reading my new Petersons Off Road mag and there is a good artical in there on the 6.0 PSD.
They talked about how unreliable the 6.0 has been compaired to the D Max and Cummins.

The moral of the story was this;

Buy a Cummins.

dan

Well mister moral of the story what month Petersons are you talking about? Ford out sales every body else so naturally they have the bulls eye on their back.

sbr

I like the ford alot better according to manufactures recomendation the ford will tow more. I personally have problems with the dodge trucks I have owned them and they have all had problems I'm not saying ford doesn't just saying the dodges I have owned had more problems than the fords did. I have a few buddies with new dodges and have seen quite a few problems with them mostly with the auto trans. and the front suspension . just .02

TimB

Homesick
The latest 4-Wheel and Off Road mag has a short note in it reporting that the Ford PSD has 60 lawsuits for repairs, something like 12000 returns, and almost 100 recall items. The Duramax had 20 or so recall items, the Cummins had zero. I think Ford has the better body/frame/axle combo but for dependability it looks like a Cummins with a 6 speed would be hard to beat.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
ut4x4Bronco said:
OK, I will put my tail beteen my legs and be quiet.:eek:

That right !!!!

HA!! It's not to often I'm right so I'm gonna enjoy this for a min.

But truthfully my perfect truck would (have been) a 4 dr Ford F-350 with a Cummins under the hood. Now Dodge has the Mega Cab and Ford is out. Till they get there poo together and get a engine that doesnt blow up.

Dan

TimB

Homesick
From what I can see Ford may have most of the problems solved already. It looks like most of it was a fuel problem. The injection system would lean the engine out and cause other problems - like turbo destruction. I think the biggest problem now is all the trucks out there that have this potential ticking time bomb - and Ford is not wanting to stand behind them no more because of the cost. The new trucks are probably safe.

It's a percentage thing anyway - 250,000 of the potentially defective trucks on the road, 12,000 customer complaints = a 4.8% chance that you will have trouble. My luck is I would get a bad one. I bought 2 vehicles that have great reputations for dependability, toyota 4-runner, and chevy suburban, and both of them nickle and dimed me to death. The chevy dimed me to the tune of $3500 worth of transmission work. Glad to see those suckers gone from my driveway!

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
It is not really Ford, chevy, and dodge, it is Cummins, Isuzu, and International.

I think those companys should make their own trucks and let Ford, chev, and dodge figure it out on their own.

72Pony

Sorry one more point. If you go with the dodge I hope you dont get one with a shaky front end. I had a friend that had his new dodge in and out of the shop for different ad ons for a year before they finaly gave him a new truck. I have herd of two or three differnt people who have had this happen. Make sure to get it out on the open road when you test it. My friend's truck would start to shake after a bump or around a corner in the canyon when he was between 50 to 70 mph.

53 willys

Bad speller
72Pony said:
Sorry one more point. If you go with the dodge I hope you dont get one with a shaky front end. I had a friend that had his new dodge in and out of the shop for different ad ons for a year before they finaly gave him a new truck. I have herd of two or three differnt people who have had this happen. Make sure to get it out on the open road when you test it. My friend's truck would start to shake after a bump or around a corner in the canyon when he was between 50 to 70 mph.

I have heard of this on old trucks but not the new ones what year is your friends?