'07 Toyota Tacoma, Access Cab, TRD Off-Road build...

Owners Name & City- Mike R., Sandy, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Access Cab

Engine- 4.0L 1GR-FE V6

Transmission- Automatic

T-Case- Low, 2.57:1; High, 1.00:1 (I think)

Axles- IFS front

Suspension- Old Man Emu coilovers with Nitrochargers on front, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf Springs with Nitrochargers on back

Wheels and Tires- OME17" aluminum wheels with 33"X12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers

Winch- Warn XD9000, recently rebuilt

Favorite Trails- Need to take this thing out more to figure this out...

Other-

Kind of cool that there's not very many of these on this forum... at least, not many that I can see. I'm planning on taking my beautiful black, stock access cab tacoma and making it a bit more trail-worthy.

I'm a relative newbie to rockcrawling, as most of my experience comes from driving my buddies' built-up FJ, and bullet-proof Defender. But now he's married, so I need to carry my own weight.

I'm excited to enjoy some local trails (e.g. Snakes) as well as getting more acquainted with Moab and surrounding areas. I'm originally from Boise, so I'm also relatively new to Utah.

Anticipated plans:

*17" black steel wheels w/ spacers (thinking a 295/70/R17 tire... either Toyo *MT's or Goodyear MTR's or whatever I can get affordably)
*Demello rear wrap-around bumper (requires body cutting)
*ARB front bumper with Warn XD9000 winch and hellas
*IFS skid plate (All-Pro)
*Sliders (All-Pro, sized for FJ Cruiser... doesn't cover the whole body, but it should do...)
*OME 3" lift
*I'm also wanting to put in some kind of buggy seats, for passengers in the bed... hmmm. Ideas?
*Trying to decide if I can figure out a sway bar quick disconnect
*Need to modify the existing fenders
*Once the above are done, I'll be interested in trimming down weight and upping performance...

The black taco, as it currently stands. 16" wheels, 265/75/16 tires, no lift, no body modifications, no armor.
DSC_0003.JPG

...with yours truly.
DSC_0004.JPG

Demello rear bumper and Spidertrax 1.5" spacers.
DSC_0005.JPG

ARB front bumper with Warn XD9000 winch (recently serviced and rebuilt at Six States) and big ol' Hella's.
DSC_0006.JPG

17" taco alloy wheels that I'm planning on painting black. Will be mounted with 33's.
DSC_0007.JPG

Still need to get a lift done, some IFS skid plate and some sliders.

Last edited:

RTR

Finally got the skid plate on... looks like I've got 13.5" of vertical clearance between concrete and belly of the skid plate.
DSC_0185.JPG

Here she stands. Just need to get the sliders on, and she's ready for Moab.
DSC_0182_cropped.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I got to see this thing in person tonight, and it looks even better in person. Great build Mike! Hope you can make it down to Moab soon.

RTR

It's been fun so far. No major issues, other than a lot of rub on the outside of the front tires when it's turned/stuff... It rubs on the body/body mount.

230683_2024591970172_1105187874_4158210_8280490_n.jpg

Got it a little bit dirty, here...
247344_2024596490285_1105187874_4158217_1235812_n.jpg

RTR

Looks great! :cool:

Time for a front body mount hack

Precisely. I've got it all figured out in my head, how I'm going to hack the body mount and re-weld a piece of sheet metal back in the "hole," after creating a cardboard template, etc...

However, when it comes to modifying the plastic and metal of the body and fenders (i.e. how the fenders are going to keep mud and water out of my engine bay and cab), I need to do a bit more soul-searching. As it currently exists, I'm just going to be bending and shredding off bits and pieces of my fenders and body, whilst wearing out the tread on my tires, prematurely. Any ideas?

Has anyone ever made these modifications to a 2nd generation taco?

RTR

how are the OME rear leafs holding up? do you like them? did you have to re locate the front or rear spring mounts?

I think they're holding up pretty well. I haven't wheeled it all that hard, yet. They are definitely stiffer. And they squeak like crazy. No relocation of the shackles/mounts, if that's what you're asking. It was a really easy swap. The front shocks were a bit more of a headache.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I think they're holding up pretty well. I haven't wheeled it all that hard, yet. They are definitely stiffer. And they squeak like crazy. No relocation of the shackles/mounts, if that's what you're asking. It was a really easy swap. The front shocks were a bit more of a headache.

Grease the inter-leaf liners on the spring pack, it will reeeeally help with noise and given they were new its something worth doing at this point and then every 3k miles or so. Takes 5 minutes.