09 Santa Fe Misfire

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
This is sort of 4x4 related since this thing is AWD right guys?

Anyway, back story first. Shipped the car to Korea back in October. Between sitting at the port and on the boat it sat for two months with less than a quarter tank in it.

Picked it up in the middle of December. Almost immediately started in with a #1 cylinder misfire. Ran some fuel injector cleaner through it and it went away.

Fast forward another month and I had already been in my first fender bender here in Korea. No serious damage to speak of but it sat for 10 days. It drove fine for two days until this morning.

Started it up to a really rough idle and it died. Tried two more times before forcing it to stay running with the skinny pedal. It was running like it was missing on more than one cylinder.

Pull out my phone and scan the codes. Had three codes one for #2 cylinder and one for #4 cylinder misfire and another for multiple cylinder misfire. Decided to clear the codes thinking it wasnt going to do anything but sure enough it started running fine and the codes didnt come back.

My thinking leads me to believe that the low fuel level forced some gunk into the fuel lines but that doesnt explain why the problem went away after only clearing the CEL.

I don't really have a place to work on this for an extended period of time without paying bay fees so I'm hoping for some input before I troubleshoot this.

Also of note my MPG are lower than they have ever been. Used to get 18mpg around town now I'm lucky to get 14mpg.

Sorry for the long winded post but really need some input even if this isn't really a true 4x4. Oh and I miss you guys.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
You shipped a Santa Fe back to Korea? :rofl:

How many tanks of fuel have you put through it? If the codes return is it a certain cylinder or does it jump around? The last time I had something similar with my Tacoma I replaced all the plugs, replaced the fuel filter, tried swapping coils, and it ended up being bad spark plug wires. (never saw a spark plug wire go bad before).

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Yeah we deported it haha.

Initially it was only #1 now it went to #2 and #4.

I think I've put maybe two full tanks through it. Might try to find a good fuel system treatment to see if it helps with the mpgs which I think is related to the misfire. I really dont want to have to replace the coils at 60 bucks a piece. I haven't even looked up the cost of injectors yet.

I guess I'll see if it comes back which I anticipate it will.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Never did update this. Ran some fuel dryer and another round of fuel system cleaner and have gotten my MPGs back. My wife is driving it two hours a day getting 24mpg. No other issues other than a suspension clunk when coming off of speed bumps. I'll need to teack that down one of these days.