1 trailer tire wearing bad (cupping)

1993yj

Trailer is a 7k, all tires are load range C. I swapped on the spare (which is a different brand and a bit older) because the other tire had more weather cracking. Now the spare that is on is wearing weird (see pics). The spare is on the passenger side rear. The driver side tires are both looking fine. I am thinking I will just rotate it around to help even the wear and get another season or two out of all of them, but wanted to get input about possible causes so the same thing won't happen to a new set. Could it simply be because it's a different tire?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 18

boogie_4wheel

I would swap that 'spare' with another tire and see if the other tire develops an abnormal wear pattern. If it does, you know you've got something wrong at that hub (loose spindle nut, bad alignment).

rholbrook

Is the spare wearing the same or different. Trailer tires begin to wear funny when belts start failing. You know they are only rated for 65 mph, any faster than that, the heat can make them start failing. I have a 205 in a 14" new spare without rim if you need one. I am in Atlanta unfortunately for 3 weeks.

1993yj

Have you had it aligned?

Not recently. Thinking it may be time.

I would swap that 'spare' with another tire and see if the other tire develops an abnormal wear pattern. If it does, you know you've got something wrong at that hub (loose spindle nut, bad alignment).

That's prob what I will do. Throw the old spare back on and see.

Is the spare wearing the same or different. Trailer tires begin to wear funny when belts start failing. You know they are only rated for 65 mph, any faster than that, the heat can make them start failing. I have a 205 in a 14" new spare without rim if you need one. I am in Atlanta unfortunately for 3 weeks.

Thanks for the offer, but not sure when it will get towed again and I have the old original tire that matches the 3 wearing normal I will throw back on. And never had a problem with towing over 65 before, but for a trip to Moab I prob avg around 70

boogie_4wheel

And never had a problem with towing over 65 before, but for a trip to Moab I prob avg around 70

LOL. This isn't a jab at you at all... I did the same with my 16' flatbed running ST tires. Drove to Arkansas running 75ish empty, hauled a 35hp tractor and 6-7' bushhog around (loaded good, but not overloaded), then did 75ish empty coming home. Now these were 8yr old tires, but the first one bulged in West Texas, the second one exploded around the East New Mexico border, bought 2 new car tires at Walmart, the 3rd one bulged mid New Mexico so I just took it off and peg-legged, bought 3 more tires in Southern Utah.

I had 3 tires fail within ~500mi. Not sure if it was speed or age related.

camicaztoy

Have you checked your wheel bearings lately? If that one has even a little too much play it will cause it to wear. Also check the spring and shackle on that corner. Make sure everything is tight.