100 Pushups

Caleb

I finally started this week.

pre-max - 27 (I guess this put me on the intermediate plan)
Week 1 Day 1 - 6-6-4-4-5 max 17
Week 1 Day 2 - 6-8-6-6-7 max 28

DAA

So... I mentioned a few days ago that I wasn't feeling any stronger, just sore. Unfortunately, that appears to be the case.

I finished Week 4 yesterday (29-33-29-29-45). The program calls for an exhaustion test before continuing on to Week 5. So I did that this morning.

Was only able to do 61, without stopping, with good form. I was able to do 62 without stopping, with good form, before I started the program. I'm going backwards...

Obvious over training, for me (does not apply to anyone else). Clearly, if I just follow the schedule as laid out, I'm never going to get to 100 and in fact, might just keep going backwards. Or at least stagnate and be "stuck" where I'm at.

Doing 61 is still enough that I'm supposedly good to go on with Week 5 in column 3. So I will, but I really do think I'd better slow this down to two days a week and see if I can start making any progress that way. Three days a week is just tearing me down more than building me up.

- DAA

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
So... I mentioned a few days ago that I wasn't feeling any stronger, just sore. Unfortunately, that appears to be the case.

I finished Week 4 yesterday (29-33-29-29-45). The program calls for an exhaustion test before continuing on to Week 5. So I did that this morning.

Was only able to do 61, without stopping, with good form. I was able to do 62 without stopping, with good form, before I started the program. I'm going backwards...

Obvious over training, for me (does not apply to anyone else). Clearly, if I just follow the schedule as laid out, I'm never going to get to 100 and in fact, might just keep going backwards. Or at least stagnate and be "stuck" where I'm at.

Doing 61 is still enough that I'm supposedly good to go on with Week 5 in column 3. So I will, but I really do think I'd better slow this down to two days a week and see if I can start making any progress that way. Three days a week is just tearing me down more than building me up.

- DAA

You are much wiser and smarter than me but, have you tried stretching out the days you don't do push ups and make sure you are getting some protein within a half hour after doing your push ups.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

- DAA

This is what worries me too. At some point, this schedule turns into a ridiculous amount of reps, and I was always taught that high rep sets were good aerobic exercise but not good at generating useful strength. I wonder if/when the rest of us hit this plateau it would be useful to do lower reps of more difficult pushups.

DAA

You are much wiser and smarter than me but, have you tried stretching out the days you don't do push ups and make sure you are getting some protein within a half hour after doing your push ups.

Stretching out the days in between is exactly what I'm going to try - by only doing two days a week, instead of the three that I have been.

And yeah, I've been eating my normal morning protein right after doing my pushups too. No extra protein though, I can't afford the calories.

- DAA

DAA

...I was always taught that high rep sets were good aerobic exercise but not good at generating useful strength. I wonder if/when the rest of us hit this plateau it would be useful to do lower reps of more difficult pushups.

I wonder too. No answers, just wonder. But, yeah, the program is what I would have derisively called one for "toners", back in the day (toner - a guy that can't workout without a mirror and does calf raises and tricep isolation movements instead of heavy squats and bench presses...).

But, the goal here is a lot of reps, so maybe it does make sense to do crazy amount.

The only thing I'm really sure of, is that me personally, I'm over training and that's no way to make progress. I need to slow it down.

- DAA

Bub

Explore
App just had me retest, I still only hit 15. Then it said to do the following sets today so I did 8-7-5-4-6. I am now very tired and sore. :-/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Week 3 Day 1: 10-12-7-7-10
Week 3 Day 2: 10-12-8-8-12
Week 3 Day 3: 11-13-9-9-21

Week 4 Day 1: 12-14-11-10-16
Week 4 Day 2: 14-16-12-12-18
Week 4 Day 3: 16-18-13-13-23

I could have done a few more, but I watned to save some energy for tomorrow to do my max again. I can at least do 23 at a time now, which is 3 better than what I started.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
W-3 D-3
16-21-15-15-21 Max again, I barely made it through this one, I'm not sore or achy, just can't muster up the strength.
Looking at next week, I may redo this week...

Keep it up guys! I would love to say it's getting easier, but it's not, at least not for me.
Best.

Bub

Explore
W-3 D-3
16-21-15-15-21 Max again, I barely made it through this one, I'm not sore or achy, just can't muster up the strength.
Looking at next week, I may redo this week...

Keep it up guys! I would love to say it's getting easier, but it's not, at least not for me.
Best.

May not be getting easier, but you are progressing.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I finished up my day 3 of first week today. I was suppose to do it yesterday but between not doing anything and doing nothing I forgot.

Week 1 Day 1: 6-6-4-4 Max 14
Week 1 Day 2: 6-8-6-6 Max 15
Week 1 Day 3: 8-10-7-7 Max 16

sixstringsteve

I maxed out at 35 tonight. I started at 20, and now I can do 35. I am definitely improving.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Week 5 day 1: 28-35-25-22-36

There is a huge difference between easy week 5 and medium week 5. In tried the medium to push myself and I can tell I'm going to be feeling this for quite a while. I had to wait 5 min between sets. That's 146 total pushups tonight. I can't imagine doing 100 in a row.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
9-11-8-8-11 today. I'm still just barely reaching minimum reps on the last set, and by just barely I mean the 11th rep took about four seconds of grunting and trembling and I literally collapsed the instant I reached the top. My arms probably won't work for the next half hour or so, so I'm typing this with my nose.

Week 1 Day 1: 6-6-4-4-5
Week 1 Day 2: 6-8-6-6-8
Week 1 Day 3: 8-10-7-5-x

Week 1 (again) Day 1: 6-6-4-4-7
Week 1 (again) Day 2: 6-8-6-6-10
Week 1 (again) Day 3: skipped

Week 2 Day 1: 9-11-8-8-11

DAA

Did Week 5, Day 2 (third column) this morning. This is getting ridiculous!

19-19-22-22-18-18-22-47

Eight sets. 187 pushups total. I stuck to only 45 seconds between sets until the last one, had to rest several minutes before trying it or there is no way I could have done the 45 minimum called for.

So, I did it though. But, I just don't see any concievable way I'm going to be doing 100 without stopping in only like 10 more days. I'm sticking with the program and we'll see where it gets me. But I'm telling you, if I stick to the schedule I'll be done in another week and a half and there is NO WAY I'll be able to do 100 that soon.

- DAA