12 Valve or 24 Valve

Which Cummins should i get

• Total voters

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
so guys in about a year or so im lookin at buyin a tow rig. mostlikly a dodge turbo diesel but i dont know which one i should go with, any help or insites would be appreciated
thnx
Joel

53 willys

Bad speller
I loved my 12V but after driving a co-workers 24v, I sold my 12v and bought a 24v.

If you buy a 24v just plan on putting a fuel pressure gauge on it FIRST thing then it should be just about as reliable as the 12v.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
because the 24v injection pump is a lot more sensitive to low pressure.... and roughly 3x more expensive than the first-generation injection pump.

Meat_

Banned
The reason the 24v ip goes if the lp goes is that the ip is cooled by excess fuel where as the 12v ip is cooled by engine oil

They both have thier merits.... the 24v will start better in the cold, period.

Last edited:

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
im not to worried about the whole cold starting thing im just wondering which one will tow my TJ best and has the cheepest parts wen it brakes or watever :greg:

JaredMD

I like my 24V over my dads 12V because I like the quad cab, leather, new dashboard, larger rear seat, but I dont like the VP44 injection pump. Performance upgrades are cheaper with a 12V too! I think its whatever you can find for the price.

Nate R

It's derby season!
I myself perfer the 12v, cheaper to hot rod. The real problem with them is Dodge quit making them in early 1998, so it is very hard to find them with low miles. But don't be afraid of a 12v Cummins with 200,000 miles. To get the best of both worlds find a '98 quad cab with a 12v;)

Meat_

Banned
nate13 said:
..To get the best of both worlds find a '98 quad cab with a 12v;)

You mean like this one?

Attachments

• 03-04-06_1738b.jpg
    03-04-06_1738b.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 03-04-06_1739b.jpg
    03-04-06_1739b.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 13

53 willys

Bad speller
Devel said:
well so far it looks like people are leaning twards the 24 Valve, any reasons for that?

If you hot rod a 12v you have a hot rod all the time, unless you take the mods off. If you have a 24v you can buy a selectable chip and you can turn it back down or up whenever you want.:greg:

If you plan on buying and hot roding a 24v read this first.:) http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm#NewInformation

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've seen two cracked 53 blocks just while I was looking for a tow rig. You just start to see the weeping coolant on the drivers side near the freeze plugs. The casting on 53 blocks is thin right there. Some crack some don't I heard it happens mainly on towing heavy loads on uphill strenous grades etc. Almost every block i looked at in utah was a 53 block though

53 willys

Bad speller
Devel said:
so if i buy one get a 94-97 or an 02 or newer right?
if you want 12v 1st gen body buy 89-93
if you want 12v 2nd gen body buy 94-98.0
if you want 24v 2nd gen body buy 98.5-02 look for 53 block on these trucks
if you want 24v CRD 3rd gen body buy 03-07

My vote would be to get a truck around 00-02 if you find a 02 you get rear disc brakes:greg:

I was lucky my 01 is NOT the 53 block, but I did not even know about 53 block until after I bought my truck. lucky.

Last edited: