14 bolt and 10 bolt under a 80 toyota

jardine

what does everybody think about putting full width 14bolt and 10bolt under a 1980 toyota pickup? do you think it is a good idea and is there any problems i might run into? if so what? i got a real good deal on the axels and a good deal on the truck so i would really like to do this swap. let me know what you think?

tiny2085

HomeGrown
It depends. What size tires are you going to be running? I'm guessing that your yota isn't putting out monster horsepower so I don't think you'll have to worry about breaking anything, but you'd really only need to move the leaf spring perches in a little bit to fit under your frame. This is where you'd hit a bump. The 10 bolt should have the U bolt cast inot the diff housinf which would make it impossible to move unless you cut the axle housing, and even then you would probably be lopsided in the front. But, that's just my .02.

jcruiser70

poser
the 14b will go in fine with some new perches (can be found for like $15.) Up front is where it will take a little work, assuming you want to leave it full width, you may need to out board your springs so they line up with the perches. I'd get under and do some measuring.

After that its just d-lines, brakelines and steering, and youll be set.

Oh yeah, I had to do this on my cruiser, its a fair amount of work, just make sure you have a helper to move those heavy a$$ axles. :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
don't be scared, outboarding and inboarding are not hard. it is just measure ten times, then weld. i inboarded the leafs on the rear of my xj and swapped leafs into the front... it is not bad at all, it just takes 2-3 hands or a lot of clamps :D

Ohms

'Poser Wheeler
As far as the strength issues,
the 14 Bolt will be fine. But the 10 bolt is really weak and won't hold up to much stress without breaking...
-just my .02

N-Smooth

Ohms said:
As far as the strength issues,
the 14 Bolt will be fine. But the 10 bolt is really weak and won't hold up to much stress without breaking...
-just my .02

well, i didn't ask, but it all depends on what tire size really.
with a 40 hp motor and 36" (estimate) or smaller tires it should be fine

Ohms

'Poser Wheeler
I guess it depends on which 10 bolt it is-30 spline or 28....
BTW a 40 hp motor? That thing better weigh about 1000 lbs or it's hardly gonna move under it's own power

N-Smooth

Ohms said:
I guess it depends on which 10 bolt it is-30 spline or 28....
BTW a 40 hp motor? That thing better weigh about 1000 lbs or it's hardly gonna move under it's own power

okay i was joking about the 40hp thing... but really though, how much hp are you guessing from a 25 year old carburated 4 cyl??? 65 hp?? :D
yeah nobody wants 28 spline 10bolts