14 bolt disc brake swap

Reg Busson

I have a 9.5 inch 14 bolt 6 lug diff that I am trying to convert to disc brakes. I am using 85 ElDorado calipers but the Chevy truck rotors that I have are smaller internally (6.875" dia.) than axle flanges ( 7.25" dia.) Does anyone know of a stock rotor that will work or will I have to turn the axle flanges down???:(

dstrbd1

What rotors are you using? I usually use a front rotor off a 88 chevy 4x4 1/2 ton ext cab with heavy duty brakes. It is a slip on style brake rotor. I am not sure of the inside diameter. You might run down to Napa and check them out. I won't be around my truck for a while so I can't tell you. When I have my axles made I usually have them turn the raised portion on the flange to match the hole in the rotor so keeps the rotor centered on the axle also. Either way I recommend machining the shaft over the rotor. That way you can always use off the shelf rotors. And next time you order new chromo shafts you can have them machined to fit at no extra cost.

dstrbd1

That is for a 6 lug semi float application hence the 1/2 ton. The ext cab just offers a heavy duty version. (Not sure if there is really a difference I have just always asked for the heavy duty). My rear axle is a 6 lug semi float D60 with this same brake rotor. Not quite sure of all the years but late 80's to early 90's have the same rotor. Last set I got were for an 88 though.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I put disks on a toyota rear using the 1/2 ton rotor and had to machine down the flange. We put the truck on jack stands,turn it on and put it in gear then put the grinder on the turning axle and turned it down. It worked well but the truck was a crawler.

dstrbd1

I got over to the shop this morning so I checked for you. The rotors I mentioned have about a 7 3/8" internal clearance. so they should work for you.

Last edited:

Reg Busson

Thanks for your help, I got the axles turned and had the rotors turned but next time I will try the other rotors. It cost me about $100 so buying the right rotors would be way cheaper.