14 bolt disc swap w/ parking brake (non eldo)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not all D-maxes do... My dad had a '01 D-max with the old school 10.5" 14b... I have also seen a few new body ('07+) with the 10.5" 14b. I do know there is an AAM 10.5" 14 bolt as well, but I assure you, they do still use the old GM corporate 14b axles here and there.

Just to clear up a couple things:

1. "GM corporate" and "AAM" are the same thing: AAM made all the "corporate" axles for GM. Better to differentiate between the 11.5 and 10.5" axles by size, rather than name.

2. GM "e-brakes" aren't, they're parking brakes. They work great for that purpose and absolutely SUCK for emergency braking. So a line lock would work just fine I suppose.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
well all the test does it check whether or not the brake holds while the vehicle is in gear. so it doesnt matter if its a 'parking' brake or an 'emergency' brake, at least in terms of passing inspection. in my situation, i'd prefer to have something capable of qualifying as an 'emergency' brake, but its not necessary.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Just to clear up a couple things:

1. "GM corporate" and "AAM" are the same thing: AAM made all the "corporate" axles for GM. Better to differentiate between the 11.5 and 10.5" axles by size, rather than name...

I understand this, but how else do you want to differentiate between the old school AAM 10.5" axles (GM only, the 14b that everybody and their puppy runs in anything and everything...) and the new AAM 10.5" axles (GM/Dodge since '01)???

Maybe it is easier to say "14 bolt with removable pinion support" to refer to the older ones?

Either way, they (GM) do still sneak a few "14 bolts with removable pinion support" into the new trucks.

Back on topic... If anyone finds a line in the safety code (I haven't looked...) that says that the parking/emergency brake must be mechanical, I think that rules out the use of a secondary hydraulic system. It is a neat idea however.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
M. PARKING BRAKE
1. Check holding ability.
a. REJECT when:
1) Parking brake does not operate or fails to hold vehicle.
2. Check ratchet or the locking device.
a. REJECT when:
1) Ratchet, pawl or other locking device fails to hold brake in an
applied position.

Only thing I could find in the safety code

yup. just read through the entire braking system section, and thats all i found as well.

link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012 SI PLT Manual.pdf
parking brake stuff is on page 40

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
...which being said, only suggests that the system has to be mechanical (ratchet, pawl) but also says that it is to be rejected if "other locking device fails to hold brake in an applied position". i feel like the 'other locking device' is entirely open to interpretation ;)

4554x4

always modifing something
14 bolt Duramax brakes

So here is my progress on my rear disc 14 bolt. I have the entire brakes assemblies from a Duramax with the 11.5 differential. I cut the spindles off of the D-max also, as it was bent from a rollover. I had the flange machined off of the spindle so I can slide it ontl my 14 bolt spindle. I was fortune enough to have access to a 14 bolt spindle also, so I dont have to tear my rig down while making my changes.

Attachments

• spindles.jpg
    spindles.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
  • spindle in lathe.jpg
    spindle in lathe.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 15
  • spindle turning in lathe.jpg
    spindle turning in lathe.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 14 bolt duramax brakes.jpg
    14 bolt duramax brakes.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 20

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
That would be cool, a separate hydro system for the e-brake, run some small calipers and have a small MC actuated by a stock hand lever.

(front digs would kick ass then...)

nathan

ok so revisiting this; from a legality standpoint, would something like this pass??

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8403825&postcount=16

it's a dual caliper setup, using 2 pairs of disc brackets and 2 pairs of 3/4 ton chevy front calipers. one set is hooked up normally, while the 2nd set is hooked up to staging brake aka lever with small master cylinder attatched. it looks like the guy in the pirate post used one staging brake for the pair, but i'd use 2 so they could double as cutting brakes. onto the code:

M. PARKING BRAKE
1. Check holding ability.
a. REJECT when:
1) Parking brake does not operate or fails to hold vehicle.
2. Check ratchet or the locking device.
a. REJECT when:
1) Ratchet, pawl or other locking device fails to hold brake in an
applied position.

Only thing I could find in the safety code

the 'locking device' could be something as simple as a hook that the staging lever is held behind, depending on how the code is read. this system would be multi functional, and a safer bet than the eldo caliper problems, and somewhat cheaper. but would it pass inspection??

Last edited:

kgb

Me personally, I would use the factory e-brake lever. Mount a rod to it or something that works a MC then no one would ever know the difference. However technically the picture should work if it had a way to lock it on, as I read the code.

What did you do on brake cables? Swap out the '02 cables with ones for your vehicle? I just purchased an HD 2500 for the 6.0/4L80 swap into my K5. Didn't even think about the 14 bolt until this weekend.

gertsch

Torq Motorsports has a weld on flange that makes it so you can adapt the newer disc brakes from a chevy. So you'd end up with discs and internal park brake. Did it to several axles when I worked there once upon a time.

thenag

Just to put this here;

I have gotten my Eldo caliper parking brake to work pretty dang well. It holds the jeep on fairly steep grades. I realized that the bracket that holds the cable is not long enough, I made a new bracket and they work great. they have been working great for 4 months. In the past I could only get them to work well enough to barley pass inspection for about a week. (I will try a front dig this weekend...) It will never work as well as a drum in hat or a hydro-disk setup but it works well.

Details are on my build thread;
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.p...-XJ-Build-up&p=1075657&viewfull=1#post1075657

Of course with Safety Inspection going away next year it may not be an issue anymore. (I think we will see more bead locks around and I am eyeballing hiem joints for my steering instead of TRE's)

Nathan

WheelitZR2

I bought a late model rear brake bracket with the "hat in rotor" type e-brake and made a couple plates to weld on to the axle where the old drum brake brackets went. That gave me 1ton dual piston calipers and e-brake.