14 bolt disc swap w/ parking brake (non eldo)

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
all i've read about the eldorado swap onto 14 bolts says that while the eldo calipers is the only one that works, it doesn't work that well, especially if you get the reman'd ones. the other option is doing with a driveline brake, like something off the tcase, but this may or not be DOT approved, depending on who checks it. plus theyre pretty pricey from what ive seen. so here's my crack pipe idea, (maybe someone has done something like this before??): a custom bracket with provisions for a 2nd caliper, which will be manually activated by the driver. maybe even a braket off the tcase and a motorcycle or mountain bike disc brake. line locks seem to work, but not be legal from what ive read. it would have to be a closed system, so if the engine falls out and all Hell breaks loose, i can pull the lever, and not roll to my death. I understand this wouldnt be an emergency brake, but just a parking brake. does anyone have any experience with something like this??

edit: maybe something like one of these: http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...-actuated-manually-released-14886-690673.html

Last edited:

Wicked Monkey

Banned
If you didn't know already... There's another caliper that works very well according to others. In fact I've heard no complaints. Kinda pricy but less of a pain. This caliper is what I'm most likely going use on my 14bff dbc install.
www.tsmmfg.com/3120.htm

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The TSM caliper is an Eldorado caliper, it just comes with the brackets that no one can ever find. :D

DIY4x makes, or at least MADE a dual-mount caliper, I'm considering using it for the Suburban.

Also, later-model 14b discs, with slip-on rotors and "drum-in-hat" e-brakes can be adapted to older axles. They require an adapter to change the mounting flange pattern for the caliper mount.

Chevycrew

Im running a 2002 chevy disc brake 14 bolt with dual piston calipers and drum style park brake in the rotor hat. All factory parts...

Axle is around $400 at the wrecking yards, swap in your guts, and the axle is complete. The only way I see to swap on the newer stuff to the older axle is to cut the brake flange off and weld on new ones. Newer style has a much larger 4 bolt flange where the brakes bolt on.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Im running a 2002 chevy disc brake 14 bolt with dual piston calipers and drum style park brake in the rotor hat. All factory parts...

Axle is around $400 at the wrecking yards, swap in your guts, and the axle is complete. The only way I see to swap on the newer stuff to the older axle is to cut the brake flange off and weld on new ones. Newer style has a much larger 4 bolt flange where the brakes bolt on.

That's exactly the stuff I was looking at. Is it the same 10.5" axle? (you can tell, I've done a LOT of research on this :rolleyes: )

Chevycrew

Yes, mine is the 10.5" 14 bolt. I'm using the 4.56 gears and detroit from a '86 cucv 14 bolt in it right now.

I have 3 trucks with these axles right now. The non hd 2500 trucks and burbans had the axles.

4554x4

always modifing something
Check this out! I have all the brake parts from a Duramax, and thought of using these brackets. I called them and they said that they were not quite ready yet. I also cut the spindles from the axle to get the flanges. I hope to slide the flanges down the tubes and weld them in place, thus not needing to purchase adapters. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985215

thenag

Yes, mine is the 10.5" 14 bolt. I'm using the 4.56 gears and detroit from a '86 cucv 14 bolt in it right now.

I have 3 trucks with these axles right now. The non hd 2500 trucks and burbans had the axles.

That is really a smart way to go. Any way too run it with the C&C hubs? do you just have to re-mount the (re-make) the flange on the axle?

The little down side is you add the weight/complecity of a second little brake system, but it will work better than the caddie calipers, and the weight is pretty negligable...

I installed a pair of the TSM caddie calipers... they work-ish. It is more of a parking brake than an e-brake, I can slow myself down by down shifting much more effectivly than the e-brake. (but the same is true of my stock f250, but the e-brake does need to be adjusted on that...)

nathan

Chevycrew

Ill bet if you very carefull removed the brake mounting flange and slid it inward on the housing, then welded it back up you could put the c&c hubs on the factory disc 14 bolt. Also to note, these newer axles have 3 1/2" tubes compared to the older 14 bolt 3 3/8" tubes.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
now we're talking. someone with a burn table needs to make these in a one-piece design that is weld-on and works with a mechanically actuated caliper. a no-nonsense design that 'cures' the issue of no parking brakes for a 14bolt.

The reason they did the two-piece thing is to get the caliper offset correct, since the bracket bolts on. Making it a weld-on would remove that need, so that part is easy.

I am wondering what it would accomplish? It looks like they intend it to use either "normal" front calipers, or the rear Cadillac caliper with E-brake. I'm not aware of a mechanically actuated caliper that uses the same mounting pattern as the hydraulic one. (though admittedly, I haven't tried to find one.

Either way, a double caliper mount wouldn't be too tough to make--and I'm willing to help make them if someone figures out the calipers they want to use. :)

Chevycrew

I thought for a park brake that it had to be mechanical?

These would be cool for cutting brakes, mounting 2 handles that each controlled a rear caliper, even could put a latch on it to lock the brakes, but, i dont think it would pass as a park brake.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
yea theyve gotta be mechanically actuated, so hydro levers wouldnt be DOT approved, but the idea of the handle is spot on. And i hadnt thought of the possibilities of cutting brakes

Last edited:

thenag

I am wondering what it would accomplish? It looks like they intend it to use either "normal" front calipers, or the rear Cadillac caliper with E-brake. I'm not aware of a mechanically actuated caliper that uses the same mounting pattern as the hydraulic one. (though admittedly, I haven't tried to find one.

I am not aware of a mechanically actuated disk brake caliper that works better than the caddy caliper, the Eldorado is the heaviest vehicle I am aware of that had a mechanical disk brake. And it must relatively suck since in the past 30 years no one has manufactured anything like it for heavy vehicles. If you are GM and your choice is to make a good mechanical disk brake or do a drum in hat setup, their has to be more manufacturing and assembly time and cost in the drum and hat setup.

I am actually going to increase the mechanical advantage on my setup, not sure if I am going to make a longer arm on the caliper or do some kind of pulley setup. I know my e-brake handle has plenty more range.

nathan
99 xj with stuff

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I am not aware of a mechanically actuated disk brake caliper that works better than the caddy caliper, the Eldorado is the heaviest vehicle I am aware of that had a mechanical disk brake. And it must relatively suck since in the past 30 years no one has manufactured anything like it for heavy vehicles. If you are GM and your choice is to make a good mechanical disk brake or do a drum in hat setup, their has to be more manufacturing and assembly time and cost in the drum and hat setup.

I am actually going to increase the mechanical advantage on my setup, not sure if I am going to make a longer arm on the caliper or do some kind of pulley setup. I know my e-brake handle has plenty more range.

nathan
99 xj with stuff

Both my Dodge (2004) and my Super Duty (1999) had park brakes and rear disk. I'm SURE those work better than the craptastic Caddy caliper. I would think a GM setup from a later model 14 bolt would work with the older 14 bolts (and likely as well as the two other trucks?), but if the rear axle is the same in the newer rigs (swappable carrier, gears, etc.) as it is in the "traditional" drum brake 10.5" 14 bolt, why not just save the fab and swap your locker/gears into the disc brake GM axle?

GM does still make a cab/chassis combo. I wonder what the late model axle hubs look like?

Last edited:

bad_90blazer

I have the TSM 3120 calipers on my Blazer and they hold it fine, havent had a problem yet. But I also use it everytime I put it in park.

Also over on CK5 there was someone talking a bout a mechanincal caliper that TSM was designing to use with a dual caliper bracket that has the same bolt spacing as the GM caliper. Here's the page. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288326&highlight=disc+brake Looks like it will be a pretty good setup when they get done with it.

And I have also seen an adapter from a company called RightGear that allows use of the newer GM disc brake setup on an older 14 bolt.