14 Bolt Shave Kit

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have broken gears, shafts, and a stock carrier that had a mini spool in it. I keep waiting for the stock third member to explode but surprisingly enough it has held together but i dont have much faith in it

With all this being said I am getting ready to drop big money into a set of 9 inches for my comp rig.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have broken gears, shafts, and a stock carrier that had a mini spool in it. I keep waiting for the stock third member to explode but surprisingly enough it has held together but i dont have much faith in it

With all this being said I am getting ready to drop big money into a set of 9 inches for my comp rig.

I've seen a Ford 9" third member break on the trail.... not Nodular, of course but that was enough for me to never consider one for a 4x4 with big tires.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So did your shave job eliminate the bottom bolt? If so do you have any trouble with the diff cover leaking?

It did not eliminate the bolt. It is shaved to where I've hit the bottom of the bolt hole from the front side. I haven't had any leaks since going to the RuffStuff cover. I peeled the thin stock cover back a few times

Last edited:

thenag

Thats pretty much how I did mine. I recently picked up a Ruff Stuff cover, I had to cut a bit off the bottom of the cover. I kept the OEM bottom bolt. I did install a lubelocker gasket and had to cut more of that than I would have liked to... link to post... I didn't have any leaks with the OEM cover and a felt/paper gasket with grease on it, I think my lubelocker leaks a little but I cut quite a bit off it.
3rd picture in this post
https://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.p...-XJ-Build-up&p=1067162&viewfull=1#post1067162

Before I made my little bracket I would have told you to find a newer axle with drum in hat style parking brake, but now mine works great and has worked great since I made my brackets. You will likely have to do custom cables, my homemade ones actually worked really well and only failed once, I don't think it would have failed if I had the diy cable brackets since I wouldn't have been pulling my brake handle as hard. The cost of the calipers with the arms and springs is the main issue, but if you go with the other style it looks like the arms can be made.

For my DIY parking brake cables I used longer ones (one from a jeep one from a ford) I used a cutoff disk to cut a slit in the metal pea on the end, I then drilled the cable strands out of the center of the pea and drilled it out so it could be re-used. I then pulled the inner cable into the cable housing and cut the housing. Then I pushed the inner cable back in, and cut it where I thought it would work. I slid the pea on and clamped down on it with a press. I then hit it with a welder (which is probably not required). igrnor my finger in this picture but this is a home made end. It is not at all water tight. If you look close enough at the pea you see the slit up top.
IMG_20170128_132031.jpg

I hope that makes sense. I would recommend doing this to get the size right then you can take them to Six States and have them make new ones off your DIY ones.

Nathan

Last edited:

idahoyj

I did the Barnes kit so I could avoid welding the cast. Only to realize that the newer 14 bolt has a drain plug and recessed area right where you cut off for the "shave". So, I ended up dutting/plating/welding to the cast anyway. It turned out good and I didn't have to machine the ring gear.

pkrfctr

So how big of a deal was the cutting/welding on the TMR kit?

I didnt actually do it because I dont weld. I know he cut the chuck off with a sawzall and portaband. It came off in one big chunk. With the welding he heated all around and it does take several passes inside and out. no machining of gears was required.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 21506.jpeg
    21506.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 12
  • 21508.jpeg
    21508.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I used the TMR kit. A nice kit. I am sure it will be worth the extra work if the stalled project I am using it on ever gets completed. Many say it's not worth the extra effort over just grinding, but the gains are obvious when comparing the two side by side.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Why go to all the trouble of the shave and not cut the gear? Not a huge difference but you don't hurt strength and every little bit of clearance is a good thing