1943 Willys MB Halfcab

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
On FB, Mike Boyle mentioned that he recognized the cab by the double bumps at the belt line... '32-33 Ford pickup. Did a quick Google image search and he nailed it! Now we know what the halfcab was sourced from and explains where the visor came from!

Screenshot_20240330_100701_Chrome-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
At this point I think the best possible plan for this thing is to keep it exactly how it is, fix or replace the engine with another F-head and just get it back to running and driving safely (the steering needs work), go thru the brakes, drivetrain, wiring, etc. I found an engine rebuild kit for $900, but I don't know how damaged this engine is and if it's even rebuildable. I did find a buddy that's going to 4.3 swap his Flatty and has a good F head that should be available soon.

I doubt I'll put a locker in it or wheel it as hard as I wheeled my CJ2A, lack of a roll bar, the custom hardtop I don't want to ruin and bench seat are all reasons not to. Plus, the massive gas tank that hangs down under the body on the drivers side. I don't know that I want to beat the crap out it.... but we will see. I would take it on more mild trails though, but probably not Cliffhanger, Moab Rim, etc. ;)

It would be nice to put some appropriate wheels and tires on it, I like the steel wheels that it came with but they're 15's and I believe 16's are more original. I don't know about NDT's, but @Hickey pointed out the wheels & tires Fred Williams put on his CJ2A and I dig the tires. They're Firestone Knobbys, old school skinny bias ply. I'd need 16" wheels at that point.

I think this is the best overall plan... maintain the character & history, don't ruin it with unneeded upgrades.

Greg

Admin
So BFG makes a 32x10x15 KM3 SxS tire... not period correct by any means, but they're a tall & skinny Mud terrain that would fit in the steel wheels that came on this thing. I could clean up the wheels and paint them. The radial tires would drive better than bias ply tires.

Would I get crucified for running SxS tires on a MB? Probably.... do I care? Not really. 😄

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
So BFG makes a 32x10x15 KM3 SxS tire... not period correct by any means, but they're a tall & skinny Mud terrain that would fit in the steel wheels that came on this thing. I could clean them up and paint them. The radial tires would drive better than bias ply tires.

Would I get crucified for running SxS tires on a MB? Probably.... do I care? Not really.
I think this is the best and most proper way to use a SxS tire.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So BFG makes a 32x10x15 KM3 SxS tire... not period correct by any means, but they're a tall & skinny Mud terrain that would fit in the steel wheels that came on this thing. I could clean up the wheels and paint them. The radial tires would drive better than bias ply tires.

Would I get crucified for running SxS tires on a MB? Probably.... do I care? Not really. 😄
I have some 33x10.50 R 15s that I need to take off of my jeep and put my 35s on.

Greg

Admin
So the 265/75/16's measure about 30.5" tall and they're a tight fit. At full turn the tires get into the frame & springs hard... and they're pretty close to the bumper. I'm not 100% sure what these wheels measure, but I'd assume 8" wide with 4" BS, but I need to verify. I'm sure the springs are original and well worn out, I may need to refresh the suspension before I decide on a wheel & tire combo. I like this kit, seems complete with USA build leafs. https://thejeepsterman.com/products/suspension-overhaul-kit-1941-1945-willys-mb-and-ford-gpw

In the meantime, these old dry-rotted BFG's & black steel wheels will do.

20240331_145435-X2.jpg

20240331_162305-X2.jpg

I decided to move the MB out back for now, while I wait on an engine. Rather than push it around, I used the tow bar and it worked great. I wouldn't flat tow on the road but this was simple! Backing up didn't work so well though, the front tires did the opposite of what was needed.

20240331_112342-X2.jpg

20240331_112352-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
Do I dare paint this thing? It looks rough obviously... multiple layers of paint. If it looked half decent like my CJ2A did I'd be fine leaving it alone or if the patina were worth saving I'd clear coat it. But it's rough, and it doesn't really bother me but a cheap coat of paint would really change it up. Thinking desert tan, military paint with no gloss. ;)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Do I dare paint this thing? It looks rough obviously... multiple layers of paint. If it looked half decent like my CJ2A did I'd be fine leaving it alone or if the patina were worth saving I'd clear coat it. But it's rough, and it doesn't really bother me but a cheap coat of paint would really change it up. Thinking desert tan, military paint with no gloss. ;)
It's your jeep, but I think it's awesome just like that. Get that bish running and send it.

Greg

Admin
So BFG makes a 7.50R16 KM3 that measures 31.8" tall and is quite skinny. I think that would be the perfect tire for this thing, once new springs were on. A set of 16"x6" steel wheels would round it out quite well.

I've been continuing to work on unsticking the engine, using the Forbidden Fruit Punch this time. It's a 50/50 mix of ATF & Acetone, straight down the spark plug holes.

20240401_154507-X2.jpg

I decided to drag it around with the tow bar, but I had to 'lock the hubs' first so all 4 tires were locked in. It had covers over the stub, but the drive flanges needed to be installed. It took a little more time than just turning a dial... locking hubs would be nice eventually. The Handy Andy took box was under the seat with the flanges and some other parts.

20240401_161821-X2.jpg

20240401_161953-X2.jpg

20240401_162049-X2.jpg

I had it in Low range, High range, all different gears and all it did was drag the tires... that engine is locked up TIGHT. I was cranking on it with a 3/4" drive x 4' breaker bar after all this and thought it was starting to turn just a little.... nope, stripped the threads on the crankshaft bolt! This engine is officially EFFED! 😭