1979 Honda XR500

airmanwilliams

I just picked up a few nights ago a 79 honda xr500. This has been sitting for 5 years in a garage and has good compression but wont kickover. To start a list of things to do I have to do replace: oil, gas rubber lines, filters, and get a new spark plug. I also have to reupholster the seat, get dent taken out of the tank, clean the carb, get new tires, replace rear shocks, preassure wash it, paint and polish it.

Does anybody do any of these things for cheap?

Ive only owned a bike for 3 months before trading it for my samurai and it was a restored 1970 yamaha at1b 125 so hopefully I can have fun with this, as long as I can flip my tailgate and figure out a way to haul this in my samurai.

Last edited:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Sweet man, I had an '81 XR500 back in the day. Awesome bike. Traded it in for a brand new '86 XR600. Can't really help you out, but it sure brings back the memories. :cool:

airmanwilliams

still not sure if I will keep it long after getting it going and looking nicer than it does now kindof thinking of trading it for some samurai parts to build my samurai more or another samurai.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Make sure you have fuel spark and compression. Make sure the jets in the carb aren't plugged with gunk and then take it to the top of a really long hill, put it in 2nd or 3rd gear and roll start it till it starts!!!

sixstringsteve

that thing is cool. Get a new spark plug, fill it with good gas, and get a can of starter fluid. I'll bet you can get it running.

sixstringsteve

You can't do any damage, it's worth a shot. You've gotta make the transition from noob to mechanic some time :)

A spark plug is $5-10. A can of starter fluid is $5. Read, read, read online, and you'll be fine. They're simple motors, and they'll help you understand bigger motors later.

A motor needs 3 things to function:
1) air
2) fuel
3) spark

Read on google how to check a motorcycle for each, and you won't be a noob anymore. And you'll probably get that thing running before you know it.

sixstringsteve

ah. in that case, you can do damage :D

How tall are you? How much do you weight? Can you touch the ground while sitting on it?

airmanwilliams

ah. in that case, you can do damage :D

How tall are you? How much do you weight? Can you touch the ground while sitting on it?

5' 6 3/4" 210pounds right now but I am going on the hcg diet starting tomorrow so hopfully this will change. Cant really touch the ground that well but having bad shocks in the back help to touch a tiny bit.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Dont be scared. Start engine and flog it or idle around if you choose. The dual shock rearend is a great wheelie bike, you can ride all over town on one wheel.

I have 4 of these. Been riding them for 30 years.
Make sure you follow these instructions to start it or you could hurt yourself bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDmvBhRqaKM

They are popular restoration projects.
They also make good fun and racing bikes (desert, VMX).
They used to win back in the day (Baja, Paris-Dakar)

Current (unfinished) XR500 project, to motivate you :) :

IMG_20110326_112009.jpg

Have fun!!

airmanwilliams

what do you guys think would be a reasonable price to ask for this? a kid called me yesterday saying he would trade me a ps3 but I dont even play my wii I have so I dont think I need a ps3.

airmanwilliams

sure wish I could keep it but I really dont have room, dont have a ton of time with school and all, and wife doesnt want another project at our apartment with my samurai.

airmanwilliams

sorry but it sold yesterday. im using the cash for some kids bills and then hopefully a buddy will be painting my samurai for me the beginning of may in exhchage for $100 and my front landcruiser axle as long as I buy the rustoleum, thinner, hardener, and primer.