1985 4runner custom

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER custom crawler
221,000 miles on the ODO.

There is far too many things that I have upgraded or replaced on this rig to list, but I’m going to try.

Exterior: Custom high clearance front bumper with stinger and 2, 8” fog lights. Silver Star headlights. Marlin Crawler full length rock sliders. Marlin Crawler rear wrap around bumper. 10” bobbed out of the rear quarters with fully functional tailgate and rear sliding window. Bob job is perfect as the pics show. Full top bobbed 10” to match body. Plexy glass rear triangle windows custom cut and curved, and tinted to match. Top seals up perfect with no leaks, air or water. Hard bikini top made from another hard top (pictured) Rhino liner from the bottom body line down. Also Rhino liner on bed rails and in the rear portion behind the rear seat. Professional paint job that is a custom color which really pops in the sunlight.

Interior: Stock seats with covers. Locking center console box with kydex mount for a Springfield XD 40. Cobra CB with working PA. Sony xplode deck with Alpine 4” speakers up front, and Alpine 6x9’s in the rear. Stock roll bar with custom highlift jack mount. 35” spare tire mounted in the rear cargo area. Hand throttle mounted on shifter. Grant steering wheel. B&M shifter.

Drivetrain: 22-re that was rebuilt at 195,000 miles from the block up. New everything except for the block. Enginebuilder crawler cam, and rebuild kit used. Dual transfer cases 2.28x2.28 using a MC-08 adapter, with a Bud built dual mount cross member. Tom Woods high angle CV drivelines front and rear.

Suspension: Marlin Crawler lift kit used. 4” springs in the front with tall shock hoops and extended brake lines. Cross over steering with upgraded IFS steering box. 5” springs in the rear. Front axle pushed 3” forward for a final wheelbase of 105”. Relocated bumpstops front and rear.

Front Axle: Fully rebuilt using the Marlin Crawler kit and HD seals, Stock Asian hubs. Yukon 5.29 gears set up by “ZUK”. Factory E-Locker. Axle armor. Bilstien 5125 shocks with 14” travel. 1.5” wheel spacers.

Rear Axle: Fully rebuilt using Marlin Crawler HD seals. Yukon 5.29 gears with cryo’d bearings set up by “ZUK”. Aussie locker. Pivot blocks with threaded lock outs. Bilstien 5125 shocks with 14” travel. 2” wheel spacers.

Tires & Wheels: 35x12.50 BFG mud terrain KM with good tread mounted on 15x8 Soft 8 wheels.

IFS front rotors and calipers with a bigger Marlin Crawler brake master cylinder, 1" bore.
New clutch master cylinder.
Marlin 12000 lb clutch with new flywheel at time of engine rebuild.

This has been a very fun project, and I am sad to see it go. I am asking $8000.00. I have over $15,000 into this not counting the thousands of hours spent working on it. I do not “need” to sell so please don’t lowball me.

Rig is located in Santaquin, UT.

Attachments

• REDO1.jpg
    REDO1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 80
  • REDO3.jpg
    REDO3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 87
  • REDO4.jpg
    REDO4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 67
  • REDO5.jpg
    REDO5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 69
  • REDO2.jpg
    REDO2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
More pics

Attachments

• REDO6.jpg
    REDO6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 50
  • REDO8.jpg
    REDO8.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 52
  • REDO9.jpg
    REDO9.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 49
  • REDO10.jpg
    REDO10.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 52
  • REDO11.jpg
    REDO11.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 90

STAG

On my grind
I've seen this driving on the freeway a bunch of times between Spanish fork and payson and its a beautiful rig for sure, I love how that color looks in the sun.

Taco4life

I saw this on the freeway a few weeks ago and said to myself "if I ever see that up for sale, I want to buy it" I might just have to see what I can do... Beautiful rig, what is the patch on the passenger rear quarter panel? above the taillight?

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
TJ, What the hell? I hope you have another build planned? Or your planning on spending a lot of time on mine!! Britt told me you were trying to get me to buy it. If I didn't have my heart set on my '96 then I would..

Taco4life, I'm almost positive the patch is a MOAB SCAR, but I'm sure he'll clarify.

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Ya that is some body damage from the Escalator. It is not a patch, but I just rhino'd it to match the bottom for corrosion protection, and so it looks a little better.

Thardy-Your build will be fun for sure, if you weren't set on building yours i'd tell you to save yourself 7K and a whole ton of time and buy mine as a turn key crawler.

))--SLIVER-->

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Stock shafts as of now. I was going to replace with longs when I broke one, but with the selectable front locker I never broke, not even a birfield.

))--SLIVER-->

krazytoy

Is the front a high opinion? How about some good pictures of the axles, suspension, bob job and top? Plus, is there much rust, how about a few shots of the engine compartment and interior as well? Thanks,

Last edited:

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Requested pics coming. The front e-locker is low pinion. I had a square front d-line on this for a while that I made out of a stock d-line, and even with that d-line it didn't bind. I have since upgraded to the tom woods high angle because the square d-line was extremely unbalanced and caused a lot of vibes. The Tom Woods is much better. This is probably the most rust free runner I have ever seen. It has always been garaged and well taken care of. With that said it is a 26 year old vehicle and is by no means a show car. There is one spot of rust on the passenger side A pillar that could use some work in the future. However, like said before, this is a crawler, not a show car. I will take some requested pics and post them later today.

))--SLIVER-->

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Here are some more pics that have been requested. The kydex holster is mounted in the locking console using rivets drilled through the side. It works very well, however I sold my XD a while ago and bought a Glock so I haven't been able to use it since then.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• REDO12.jpg
    REDO12.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 54
  • REDO16.jpg
    REDO16.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 51
  • REDO15.jpg
    REDO15.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 53
  • REDO14.jpg
    REDO14.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 55
  • REDO13.jpg
    REDO13.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 67

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Thank you for the kind words guys. I do not have a build thread created, and wish I would have taken the time to do so. I do have tons of pics of the building process, just never made them into a thread.

More pics.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• REDO17.jpg
    REDO17.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 29
  • REDO18.jpg
    REDO18.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 44
  • REDO19.jpg
    REDO19.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 38

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Testing the flex pics. I am 6'2" for reference.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 54