1990 4-runner rear vibration from 55-70

350 fj40

I have a heavy vibration within speeds of 55 to 70 anyone have this problem before? and how would i troubleshoot this.? (it seems to be coming from the rearend)

KrazyKarl

Dents are cool right?
something similar happened to me on my 98 4runner. It ended up being the ball and cup assembly on the cv end of the drive shaft.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Have you had the driveshaft out of the vehicle at all? Sometimes the rear yoke can be installed misaligned or more commonly installed 180* off and you can get a vibration.

If that is not the case lift the rear end and set it on jack stands. With the transmission in neutral rotate the drive shaft and wiggle it up and down checking for any slop in the u-joints and the rear carrier bearing (bearing in the middle of the drive shaft).

350 fj40

have not had driveshaft out of the vehicle at all. Thanks for the advice i will check for slop if none then. rotate th rear yoke 180* any way thanks for the advice im sure it cant be worse.

rollover

Rear vibration basic check list:

1) U joints
2) CV joint
3) Drive-line bent or out of balance and rotation out on rear yoke 180*
4) Bent Axel or tube
5) Tires out of balance (lost a weight) or a bent rim
6) Problem with third member gears, pinion, yoke....
7) Wheel bearing
8) Bad shocks (one bad /weak shock can drive you crazy)

With the tires on the ground twist the drive line in gear or park. See how much free play there is and if you feel a ping or click as it comes to a stop or as you change direction. Is it sloppy or tight? Next have a friend put on the brake and go from drive and reverse. Listen to the noise from the drive line. Pings or clicks are bad news. Thats where I'd start looking. U-joints and CV's or bent drive lines are most common problem areas.

The thing you haven't referenced is has this been there always or since something changed? Did you remove the drive-line, get new tires, go to Moab wheeling or run over something like a curb? More info please.

jdub

Scrambler
I gave up on mine. I think it is the axle but don't have the resources to keep at it. I did yokes, driveline, driver axle(which was bent), shocks(which were bad), Tranny bushings(which were shot), swapped to another set of same size tires/wheels and no change. I've gotten used to it but it bugs me that after all of that it is still there.

Good luck with the search, I'm always interested in what remedies work.

350 fj40

Thanks for all the info I did rotate 180* made it worse(changed it back), did not hear any pings or clicks, did however grease the ujoints with a grease gun and do get to about 55 the vibration does start back up have not changed the U-joints next on the list. tires may be out of balance purchased them off ksl with wheels, have gone off road nothing to bad altough there were plenty of rocks that were curb size or so rolled over them at idle speed.

350 fj40

balanced tires, u-joints replaced vibration from 60 to about 67mph feel it more when i get off the gas. better than what it was.