1990 Range Rover project

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I wanted to document the progress I'll will be making on a new project I picked up.
My first experience in the Rover world was when I bought a really nicely outfitted 1989 Classic from my dealerships shop foreman, about 10 years ago. It had RTE lift springs, castor corrected radius arms, HD trailing arms, lt230 tcase, great basin rovers hd 24 spline rear axles and flanges, ARB's front and rear, winch bumper with a warm m8000, sliders, rear bumper ect.. I absolutely loved that truck and it took a beating and kept ticking. I rolled it in Moab during one trip so the body was a bit bruised but it kept running and I wheeling that truck all over utah for almost 2 years before I sold it. I have always missed it, and at one point almost bought it back from the current owner but decided I'd had my fun in it.

Now to present day, I sold my 76 IH Scout II project that I decided was not quiet right for what I wanted to do. I was looking through the local ads and the thought crossed my mind to text the shop foreman I bought the '89 from and see if he had any leads on a cheap Classic project. He responded by saying in fact he had one that he was thinking about selling and I could come look at it if I wanted. It was a 1990 that had been parked 8 years ago by the previous owner due to a failed down pipe that made the truck sound like a hot rod, and a broken windshield that prevented it from passing a safety inspection. The trucks body is in pretty good shape, the paint is very faded however, but there is practically no rust which is hard to find in Utah due to the salt we use on the roads in the winter.

A deal was struck and I had the Classic towed to my house to begin revival steps! I replaced the bad fuel pump and got it started. Pulled the downpipe and welded it back together so it sounds like it's supposed to again. Next steps are to replace the horribly rotted tires, I have ordered a set of 235/85 Super Swamper Irok ND's for it, and get the windshield replaced so I can register it.

After that I want to put some OME springs and do the HD trailing arms on it. And then slowly build a copy of my old 89, but try to keep the body straight on this one haha!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 32

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I dig the flat-ish red color of the oxidized paint... Just sand it smooth and shoot a flat or satin clear on it. Sounds like a cool build!

MattL

i think that your older one is still kickin around. ive seen it out by the air port

lenny

i think that your older one is still kickin around. ive seen it out by the air port

Yea I am pretty sure it still is running around. The guy I sold it to still has it. That thing is a trooper! I sold it with 240K miles on it!

lenny

Pretty excited about getting the Rover out on the road. Got my tires mounted and drove it to work. First time on the road in almost 10 years.

lenny

Well I had my first hiccup in the RRC on Monday morning during my commute. I was changing lanes to go around an emergency vehicle and when changing back I saw a James Bond-esq smoke screen coming from me. I immediately pulled over and discovered a blown oil cooler line. I got towed to my work and took the lines off and sent them out for rebuild and have it back on the road again.

Last edited: