1992-1993 Dodge Cummins

spencevans

Overlander
I am thinking about getting a 1992-93 Dodge Cummins. I would like to get a W250 (4x4) club cab with a 5 speed manual. I have heard that the cummins is a great engine but the rest of the truck is a complete POS. Others have said that these Dodges are very well built. I also have concerns about the auto transmission. Would I be better off to go with the Manual? I prefer shifting the manual but they seem harder to come by. Lastly how do these trucks compare as far as comfort and ride to the other Dodge truck. I really like the looks of the 1992-93 Dodges, but is it really worth the trade off of getting an newer Cummins? Anyone have experience with these trucks that can provide advice?

Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I had a 93 W350 dually with a Cummins and an automatic for a while... It had several issues, but none of them I blamed on the engine. I wasn't at all impressed with the quality of the truck - the fit and finish of most parts was poor, it rode like a garbage can lid behind a four wheeler, and had frame issues (cracked where the steering box mounted, and near the front fixed spring hanger...) In Dodge's defense, the truck had lived a tough life before I had it, so the issues should have been (and were) expected.

I also had an '87 W250, but it was a gas 360 V8 and a 4-spd. Again, the fit and finish of the truck sucked (hard life before I owned it as well) but it was one of my favorite trucks for reasons I am not aware of.

I heard the 5-speeds behind the diesels were good as long as you had the NV4500. The other option was a Getrag 5-speed, and doesn't have the best rep. I don't think it was a bad tranny, just a bear to work on and source parts for when the time came. I think the Getrags used an internal-type slave cylinder (like earlier YJ and XJ/MJ Jeeps) that could be problematic also. I think the NV4500 came in later trucks - maybe only '93, maybe part of 92-93... I don't know.

With all that said, I would still love to get my hands on a late 1st gen, clean, low(ish) mile 5-speed Cummins. I really like this one: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/24653-Project-Doitall-Dodge

larrybenny

larrybenny
I just sold a 96 Dodge Ram 4x4 with a NV4500. Towed 12,000 or more all the time and never had a problem with the engine or trans. Probably the most dependable truck I have ever owned. In my opinion the 12 valve is the best diesel. Lots of problems with the 24 valve. Also you can turn up the injector pump and modify the turbo waste gate to get a lot more horsepower and torque, Petes diesel did it for me for around $200.00. Gas mileage was 18 not towing and 15 towing 12,000 lbs. However they are hard to find, I put a sign on mine at work and sold it the next day. The auto trans in that year was not up to snuff and failed early on if heavy loads were towed.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
The 24 valve is a great motor as well the only issue they had was injector pumps and if you keep your fuel pressure up they were never an issue. 90% of the time you will lose your lift pump and it will take out the injector with lack of fuel pressure.

spencevans

Overlander
That's some good info, I don't have any heavy loads to pull and this truck will be used for more simple things like hauling loads to the dump and running to the Home Depot. I am under the understanding that the 1989-93 dodge trucks ride rough, but my Mercedes G500 rides like a dump truck and I love it. I makes me feel alive.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Drive one of those older Dodge diesels before you decide they're for you... IMO, they are more like a tractor than a truck.

spencevans

Overlander
Drive one of those older Dodge diesels before you decide they're for you... IMO, they are more like a tractor than a truck.

I drove quite a few of them when I was looking at getting one a few years back. Some of them were beaters and drove terrible. I drove one or two that were great but they were out of my price range.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
First gen Cummins 89-93.

89-91 was non-intercooled. Transmissions were TF727 auto and Getrag G360 manual. Because the 727 is a 3 speed they typically had tall 3.07 gears in the axles which is both good and bad.

91.5-93 was intercooled. Transmissions were A518 auto and Getrag G360 manual. Autos were 4 speeds which puts the axle gears at 3.55's or 4.10's.

The NV4500 has a great reputation but it came in 94 and newer trucks. Because the front differential is on the drivers side they require an adapter to swap into the first gen pickups. All transfer cases were the very stout NP205 and front axles were kingpin D60 (or D61 3.07 gears). Rear axles were typically D70's. You'd be hard pressed to find a pickup with a more durable drivetrain. I personally would spend the extra to get a manual transmission and an intercooled model. The G360 has been troublesome for heavy haulers but with proper care and overfilling it by one quart of oil they are usually trouble free for the majority of people. If you choose auto install a large aftermarket trans cooler and temp gauge. This motor deserves a manual trans but you really pay the price for one :-\

I don't buy into the popular "Dodge falling apart" bit. They are just as worthless as anything GM or Ford made in the 80's imo I've owned them all. In my opinion the VE pump 12valve Cummins is the most reliable engine ever put in a light duty pickup. It is capable of making enormous amounts of power for little money and they are typically in the low to mid 20's for fuel mileage.

Greg is right they are more of a tractor than a pickup :D With aftermarket front springs and a different bench seat they can be just as comfortable as the 94-02 Dodges which also aren't much to brag about in terms of comfort :hickey:

spencevans

Overlander
I had a chance to drive a few first gen Cummins and they did drive rough, but not as rough as my G500. The Mercedes is a rough as riding in an old CJ5. You feel every bump. The main issue I have been having is the first gen Cummins appear the be over priced. A nice 1992-93 club cab 4x4 with a manual transmission will cost $15,000. That's a lot of money for a 20 year old pickup that leaks air through the door jams, has vague steering and brakes like a freight train. So I came up with a plan B which was a 1998 12 valve Cummins with a quad cab, manual trans and 4wd. I had a hard time locating the vehicle I wanted so I had to move on to plan C which was find a great deal on a newer diesel. I hunted high and low for a nice diesel with a manual transmission and I was able to locate a 2005 GMC Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 with a manual trans. I got a great deal on it and it was well within $15K budget. I think I have enough money left over to buy a used fifth wheel with a couple of slide outs. I am pretty stoked because the Duramax is a great engine and ZF-6 is a very durable transmission.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's going to be a great truck, IMO. Those Duramax engines are great, the only weakness is the auto trannies... and you've solved that problem! I think you'll be much happier with that than a 1st Gen Dodge diesel.

spencevans

Overlander
Here are a few pics of the my new tow rig. It is a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, SLE, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6 speed manual, LLY Duramax in stock configuration and 33" tires.

Sierra 1.jpgSierra 2.jpgSierra 3.jpgSierra 4.jpgSierra 5.jpgSierra 6.jpg