1992 Fullsize ford bronco rear ends

Ken

Can anyone tell me what all will just bolt into the rear of a 92 bronco???? Will some rears from the half ton and 3/4 tons work?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Yes, no, maybe;)

Should be an 8.8. (very very slight chance of a 9")

No abs or digi speedo= put what ever you want in it....9" from an older Bronco is easy.

If it has ABS or the electric/digi speedo, you have to have a rearend with a tone wheel and VSS on it. So you are kinda stuck with beefing up the 8.8 to stay 5 lug....

You can have custom 60's, 9", etc built with the vss, but it is not the most common thing to do....or cheapest....
A late model F150 axle may have the VSS, I am not sure.
The late model 10.25's do have it, but they are 8lug.
All 3/4 tons will be 8 lug.

Ken

It's actually a 92 and I think it has abs. Can I just scrap it? Do i need to swap brake components for the system to work or just disconnect the abs?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Ken said:
It's actually a 92 and I think it has abs. Can I just scrap it? Do i need to swap brake components for the system to work or just disconnect the abs?

There is a fulsize Bronco forum, those guys know a lot more than I do, But I believe if it has a VSS, and a digi speedo, you need to keep them. The comp uses that signal for the motor....

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
All Ford trucks since 1987 have at least Rear ABS. 4 wheel ABS didn't start becoming standard until the last couple of years the Bronco was made. You can bolt in any Ford truck axle, some of the older ones may require that you modify the spring perches to accomodate the wider springs you will have on a 92 Bronco. If you only have RABS and your speedometer and or transmission don't require the tone ring to work properly then you can just swap any 1/2 ton or larger axle. I swapped out the 8.8 for a 9" in my 89 Bronco several years ago, not because I felt there was something to gain, it simply was cheaper for me to buy the 9" with the Detroit locker & gears than it was going to be just to buy the locker for the 8.8. I definitely don't miss the RABS, as it was all but worthless anyway. If you need the tone ring then you need to look for a Ford axle with the tone ring (8.8, 10.25).

ut4x4Bronco

BigHunkenBronco
Ken said:
Can anyone tell me what all will just bolt into the rear of a 92 bronco???? Will some rears from the half ton and 3/4 tons work?

I have 93 with a Dana 60. I bought a VSS relocator (relocates the VSS to the transfer case) from a guy in California for $300. I can look up his phone number if you want.

Ken

Thanks for all your help fellas. Wow three hundy for the vss relocator, I kinda wanted to build this on a budget. Maybe I'll try to find another 8.8. That sensor stuff sucks.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Ken said:
Thanks for all your help fellas. Wow three hundy for the vss relocator, I kinda wanted to build this on a budget. Maybe I'll try to find another 8.8. That sensor stuff sucks.

When I was at AFWDS we did a couple 60's and a 9" with a tone ring....lots of custom work there though.

Ken

Yes and that will take too much time. Anyone know where I can find an 8.8 bolt in? I've been looking and trying to set something up for thursday.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Ken said:
Yes and that will take too much time. Anyone know where I can find an 8.8 bolt in? I've been looking and trying to set something up for thursday.

Wrecking yards....similar year F150 will work too. Pick and Pull will be cheapest, all truck and PM truck parts should have a few though.

Ken

Nice I was thinking that route. Actually today after pulling the driveline and jacking the rig up I found out that the rear isn't siezed at all it spins just fine but I still need to pull the cover and take a look. i may just need a driveline. So with this vss sensor where is it located. Is it the do hickey that sits right on top of the diff.