1995 Tacoma wheel bearing/cv axle questions

cjfj80

Have had a fairly load metal clunking from the front drivers of my 95.5 taco. This truck has factory manual locking hubs.
The noise shows up mainly over bumps, rough road, gravel. Everything under there looks tight and feels tight except the cv shaft where it enters the rear of the hub (see picture). I can grab the cv and duplicate the sound by hand. The drivers side has 1/16" to 1/8" play around the diameter not back and forth (hope that makes sense). The passenger has play but not as much and not any noticeable driving noise. I jacked it up and yanked that tire trying to see if it was the wheel bearing but I have my doubt.
Next step. I pulled it all apart and there is two brass bushing, one inner and one outer. Now I can see the play the shaft has in those bushings (see picture). There is also a needle bearing inside, it doesn't seem to have play but I could be wrong.
Where is this noise coming from? Could it be the CV shaft itself?
I called a company who makes those bushing and was told thats not really a wear part and should have no troubles there.
Is this a wheel bearing?
Anyone with some experience with this, any help would be great.
thanks
Caleb20140412_105530.jpg20140412_105543.jpg

chans

Just to eliminate it pull the CV axle by undoing the clamp at the diff end and pull the tulip bearing out then drive it around without the CV. Manual hub models don't need it to keep the wheel bearing together. It sounds like a ball joint however since it makes noise over bumps. Wheel bearings make a whine or grind when you start picking up more speed.

cjfj80

I can give that a shot, is the play in the CV where it goes through the hub normal? Could those brass bushing wear out or the needle bearing inside?

chans

In a ADD Tacoma like mine there is no play but it is splined and spins with the wheel. Its been awhile since I took a manual hub model apart but since it is only the hub that keeps the axle from spinning I would imagine it would be a little loose on the fit through the spindle.