1997 Jeep TJ Clutch

elk6x6

Coasting up to a stop light tonight and go to push in the clutch, it only goes down a little ways and stops hard. No noise nothing that would indicate something was going out. Any ideas, or things I might try before tearing it apart? Thanks

elk6x6

I just went out and took the slave out, held pressure on the rod while my son pushed on the clutch pedal seemed to work fine. Wondering if something broke or froze up on the clutch or pressure plate. Never had one go out like this, kinda dumb founded.

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
Take the panel off the front of the bellhousing. I once had a TJ clutch that completely came apart. I pulled the flywheel cover off the bellhousing and the shavings from the clutch were in the bottom. When it happened to me I couldn't even get the get the gears to disengage it was a mess.

Anyway other than cleanup, it was a normal clutch replacement, and like yours it happened kinda suddenly. I was freaking out it might be a tranny issue or something crazy. I would check both the master and slave cyl as well, but it sounds to me like your clutch plate literally blew up.

elk6x6

Thought I would post a follow up. The clips had broken on the throwout bearing allowing it to turn and become wedged stopping the arm from moving forward.