1st Gen Tacoma - Flat beds?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've had this wild itch to build a flat bed for my tacoma, but I have never seen one that actually looks good. Are they just doomed to look stupid with flat beds or what's the deal?

Anybody have a photo of a good looking example?

Maybe this is a bad idea. (image search just proves my theory that it might be a terrible idea...)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've had this wild itch to build a flat bed for my tacoma, but I have never seen one that actually looks good. Are they just doomed to look stupid with flat beds or what's the deal?

Anybody have a photo of a good looking example?

Maybe this is a bad idea. (image search just proves my theory that it might be a terrible idea...)
I know at least one RME member is going to be gleeful about this 😂

The only Toyota flatbed experience I have is seeing tires rub on them a lot. I don’t know if it’s a frame width thing or what but yeah. That being said if anyone is going to set out and build a sweet, functional flatbed I think it’s you 😘

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think the typical relation of the axle to the bed is most of what makes them look stupid (mostly on DC trucks like yours @Herzog ) - they need more wheelbase to look better IMO. It's just weird when there's more of the bed behind the axle than in front. Also I think the overall size of the bed (tiny on a DC) just looks silly and pointless.

Extend your wheelbase ~5-10" or so, have a better looking bed/wheelbase ratio. That'd also give you better weight distribution if you're carrying something heavy-ish like a camper.

ID Bronco

I support something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I support this! A well built skirted flat bed would look awesome on a Tacoma.

That kit actually looks decent! Thanks for the link
I think the typical relation of the axle to the bed is most of what makes them look stupid (mostly on DC trucks like yours @Herzog ) - they need more wheelbase to look better IMO. It's just weird when there's more of the bed behind the axle than in front. Also I think the overall size of the bed (tiny on a DC) just looks silly and pointless.

Extend your wheelbase ~5-10" or so, have a better looking bed/wheelbase ratio. That'd also give you better weight distribution if you're carrying something heavy-ish like a camper.
Man, that makes total sense. I'd definitely have to stretch it to make it look proper... interesting.

I support something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg
That one actually looks decent too, not really my style but I like what they did.

ID Bronco

But, I also think it is killer the way it is already and I'd be careful to mess with perfection.

My 5th gen is in the shop (again) but I am sick of strapping down everything I want to haul with my flatbed. It gets old. Just a thought.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
But, I also think it is killer the way it is already and I'd be careful to mess with perfection.

My 5th gen is in the shop (again) but I am sick of strapping down everything I want to haul with my flatbed. It gets old. Just a thought.
haha I appreciate that... and you're right, I love how the truck is now I just thinking about something a little different for it. I'd definitely mock it up before proceeding just to make sure I wouldn't hate it.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Here's the thing about a flatbed... It's not about the looks. It's the function and utility. It's a practical thing, not a flashy thing. That's why farmers, welders, Australian work trucks, service trucks, etc have them.

If you need eye candy, don't do it.

If you want happiness, do it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here's the thing about a flatbed... It's not about the looks. It's the function and utility. It's a practical thing, not a flashy thing. That's why farmers, welders, Australian work trucks, service trucks, etc have them.

If you need eye candy, don't do it.

If you want happiness, do it.
I want happiness 😂

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I've been trying to work an older guy in my neighborhood with a first gen with a wrecked bed...following