1st gen Tacoma knock sensor issue 3.4l

Silly Willy

Hey, I'll start off by saying I got a new rig. Its a 1999 Tacoma left fairly stock (3.4, TRD, factory Supercharged, 5 speed etc. but i'll be changing that here this winter hopefully.

Well after about 200 miles i got P0330 bank 2 knock sensor. From what I've been able to find the common issue is the wire for the knock sensor has gone bad so I have a new one on its way I opted to do a timing belt, water pump and pulleys while I was at it (they're on order from low range now).

My issue i'm running into is unlike most Jeeps (what i'm used to) there's not a how to or a whole lot of good info on if just swapping the wire truly was a fix, just people saying they're going to do it and then no update and not many with pictures (or very few pictures)

My hesitation is I have no issues with tearing down a 4.0, 4.2, or 2.5 from a jeep, but Toyota is very foreign to me. Anyone happen to have decent instructions (ideally with some pictures) or something I could use to get this taken care of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Get the factory service manual, it can be purchased at the dealer, used on eBay or found with some sleuthing online. It will walk through the process.

Rock Taco

Looks as though once you get the parts and dive in it seems pretty self explanatory. I would replace both sensors and the harness so I wouldn't have to take it all apart again. Maybe some type of heat insulation around the harness as well for good measure.

You may want to think about the timing belt, tensioner and water pump depending on your miles and if you know if its been done or not. Might as well check you valve lash while you are that far apart as well.

Silly Willy

you probably know about all these, but here are a few sites that will help the newer toyota owners:

ttora.com
tacomaworld.com
ih8mud.com
http://www.toyota-4runner.org (4runners, but almost all of it applies to the tacos too)

I'm new to the toyota world so I actually didn't know these ones other than stumbling upon ttora.
Thank you very much for the heads up.

Looks as though once you get the parts and dive in it seems pretty self explanatory. I would replace both sensors and the harness so I wouldn't have to take it all apart again. Maybe some type of heat insulation around the harness as well for good measure.

You may want to think about the timing belt, tensioner and water pump depending on your miles and if you know if its been done or not. Might as well check you valve lash while you are that far apart as well.

I was debating on replacing the sensors as they're $200 each. I was defiantly going to test them but haven't decided on replacing them or not.

I ordered the belt, water pump, tensioner and such from Low Range and am just waiting for it to be delivered.

I've never checked valve lash, I'll look into that.