2 jeep trailer

1993yj

I am looking to find a trailer that can hold 2 jeeps, and preferably not a 5th wheel or pintle style attatchment, but just a regular reciever hitch attatchment. Anyone know of any or used any before? I have been looking at the Big Tex trailers, but the longest I can seem to find is 20', and I am thinking that I would need a 24-25' minimum.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've seriously thought about buying one. I want to haul my YJ (say 5000 lbs) and tent trailer (say 1500 lbs--{I think that's WAY generous but I like to build for worst case scenario}) around and that'd be a decent load. I'd like to build it for two rigs but don't know how often I'd use that feature. I'm 100% sure you'd want brakes on both axles, a weight distributing hitch and a perfectly positioned load to travel at safe freeway speeds with two trail rigs on it. Not that it couldn't be done, but it'd be interesting from the bumper pull.

There's TONS of goosneck trailers out there that will haul 7000 and 10,000 lb payloads. I'm thinking that's the way to go. To haul two rigs regularly, I'd try to get a 12,000 lb or similar trailer. Safety margin is a good thing, IMHO.

My money is on doing it 'right'. I'd rather invest in the gooseneck setup.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I have seen the brochure on Big Tex and you can order longer lengths. My bro in law is Mike- a salesman at Lone Peak and we have had discussions on just such a trailer. Call him.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I have seen the brochure on Big Tex and you can order longer lengths. My bro in law is Mike- a salesman at Lone Peak and we have had discussions on just such a trailer. Call him.
I would agree a goose neck would be safer than a tongue pull. A strong vote for a equalizer if you must tongue pull.

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
Hit up Cherokeester on here, he has a 2 jeep bumper pull. I believe he posted in the tow rig forum in "What do you tow with?"

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Lone Peak Trailers stocks a 26' Big Tex specifically for use as a 2 Jeep trailer.
12,000 lb rated tongue pull. They are currently stocking 2.

Cherokeester

I like mine

This trailer works well for me and I paid $4500.00 for it at Lone Peak. Good bunch of guys over there. I have since purchased air bags for my truck to tow better. The trailer comes with good ramps too.

Attachments

• My_whole_rig[1].jpg
    My_whole_rig[1].jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Cherokeester said:
This trailer works well for me and I paid $4500.00 for it at Lone Peak. Good bunch of guys over there. I have since purchased air bags for my truck to tow better. The trailer comes with good ramps too.

My brother in law told me someone in Lehi was using a Big Tex for 2 Jeeps- obviously that is you. I have a 16' Big Tex, bought it in 1992 and I have never had any problems with it- I'd hate to guess how many miles it has on it.
I have friends with Big Bubba's trailers also- they love them as well.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
mbryson said:
I've seriously thought about buying one. I want to haul my YJ (say 5000 lbs) and tent trailer (say 1500 lbs--{I think that's WAY generous but I like to build for worst case scenario})

Thers a solution for you Marc, in my case I first baught the 16' PJ trailer from wasatch and then decided on the 18' for just the same reason as you. Mount your pop up sideways so the beds comeout over the rails and the wrangler on the back, leaves about a foot of extra trailer, well does on mine anyway with the neighbors pup up. We did have to pull the suspension and axles fromt the camper though to stabilize the load. I took it all down to the truck scales and loaded with water in the camper and fuel in the TJ, the load, and only the load with trailer (no tow rig) weighed in around 7200 lbs.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Badcop said:
Thers a solution for you Marc, in my case I first baught the 16' PJ trailer from wasatch and then decided on the 18' for just the same reason as you. Mount your pop up sideways so the beds comeout over the rails and the wrangler on the back, leaves about a foot of extra trailer, well does on mine anyway with the neighbors pup up. We did have to pull the suspension and axles fromt the camper though to stabilize the load. I took it all down to the truck scales and loaded with water in the camper and fuel in the TJ, the load, and only the load with trailer (no tow rig) weighed in around 7200 lbs.

I was thinking I need about a 22-26 footer. That way I could haul two rigs if needed and leave the tent trailer home.

1993yj

dunatic67 said:
I would agree a goose neck would be safer than a tongue pull. A strong vote for a equalizer if you must tongue pull.

I dont have any problems with running an equalizer, have done it before with a camping trailer, about 24'. And I am not really against a pintle, just dont know too much about them. I even have a pintle hook that will go into my reciever. As for gooseneck, I need to be able to put a camper in the back still, so the gooseneck option wont work too well.

pkrfctr said:
when i need to tow two vehicles I put one on the trailer and flat tow the other behind the trailer, tandem.

As for this option, how well does it actaully work? It has crossed my mind, but vaugely. The only thing I like about this option is having a 16' trailer that will be easier to take 4wheelers to the dunes on.

mbryson

Supporting Member
1993yj said:
pkrfctr said:
when i need to tow two vehicles I put one on the trailer and flat tow the other behind the trailer, tandem.

As for this option, how well does it actaully work? It has crossed my mind, but vaugely. The only thing I like about this option is having a 16' trailer that will be easier to take 4wheelers to the dunes on.

That's just too much stuff on the road surface and too many hinges for me to want to worry about.

pkrfctr

1993yj said:
I dont have any problems with running an equalizer, have done it before with a camping trailer, about 24'. And I am not really against a pintle, just dont know too much about them. I even have a pintle hook that will go into my reciever. As for gooseneck, I need to be able to put a camper in the back still, so the gooseneck option wont work too well.

I've done it several times and it works surprisingly well !!! I'll see if i have a pic anywhere. only down side is you are really long. but i've found the second vehicle tracks great.

72Pony

1993yj said:

Do you put the camper in the back when pullin the trailer? If not you can go with a hidaway gooseneck ball. I have one on my truck that I realy like. If you are interested let me know. I assume bring you camper with you though.

1993yj

Yeah, I usually have the camper in the back, otherwise the hideaway wouldnt be a bad idea. After looking at trailers the other day, I think that I am just going to go with a 16' one that willl work better for snowmobiles and 4wheelers. Hauling two jeeps at once would be nice, but 26' is just too long for heading to the dunes for a day with 2 4wheelers.

Bart

I've been thinking about a 26' trailer just for this reason. Glad to hear there's one out there. I need one for Safari this year, the funds just aren't going to allow it. Anybody got an extra space for a rig? Hahaha, yeah, longshot for sure.