20 struggles to idle when first started

berrett

i have an 80 truck with a 20r that i have been working on. i put a reman 22r carb, but now when i start the truck up after sitting for a couple hours it doesn't want to idle well. i will chug down to about 500 rpm and then die out, after a minute or so of holding my foot on the gas and then driving a little way, it will idle just fine. it runs great when driving (but sometimes kinda "hiccups" around 1500 rpm. the idle problem doesn't happen everytime, but most of the time. any ideas on what could cause this?

wr250

insert lame comment
is the choke plate able to move (open up some) around in the closed position? or does it not close all the way when cold?. both will cause idle problems due to to much air.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Strange combination... Are you running the 22R manifold?

Also does it have the water choke or the electric one? the 22R's had either depending on year. If it has the water choke I'll bet that has a lot to do with your problem.

berrett

Strange combination... Are you running the 22R manifold?

Also does it have the water choke or the electric one? the 22R's had either depending on year. If it has the water choke I'll bet that has a lot to do with your problem.

no i have the stock 20r manifold with a LC Engineering adapter. i now have an electric choke