2000 superduty axle ?'s

oxbronco

So I have a question about installing the knuckle seals on my 2000 superduty. I replaced my ball joints today and had the knuckle seals pressed on the axle shafts. Then I installed the shafts using a large piece of pipe to drive the seal into the knuckle. Im worried that I might have installed them into the housing a little to deep because when I intalled the thrust washers and snap ring I had to use a pry bar and push the axle shaft out to get the snap ring on. It also seems like it is taking more force to turn the hub now than before. Just wondering if it is because the seals are new, or if the seals are in to deep? I have done alot of axle work but this is my first time working on a unit bearing style axle. Thanks for the help!

Venture13

Seals actually spin within it's self like the inner diff seals. The super duty 60 series use a way more advanced seal.

As long as it holds a vaccum you should be fine. Those seals make pulling the axle shaft out a real big pain. I made a special driver for installing those seals, not so much fun..

Oh, if you want to upgrade to 35 spline outers I can get you a deal on outer stubs, flanges/hubs, and I can machine out your stock unit bearing to accept the 35spl as well with a new inner needle bearing. If you want added protection I can also slap in some roll pins..

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

Last edited:

oxbronco

What would the upgrade run? This truck doesnt have the auto locking hubs , the vaccum port is actually plugged. Thanks.