2001 chev w/8.1 and allisin tranny?

rock4fun

I have a chance to get a 01 2500 HD with the allison auto trany in it. I was just wondering if any one could give me there thoughts or opinions on this truck. It is the extended cab long bed with around 150,000 miles on it.

78mitsu

the only real malfunctions they had was they used the same trans as the D-max they weren't built for 5k+rpm, aside from that 150K is just being broken in.

oxbronco

My Grandpa has one, I was a little disappionted with the power after everyone talked it up and for being around 500 cubic inches. It did tow pretty decent, I really like the allison. It did have a few problems, rear main at 40,000 miles, recall on injectors, and the t-case just wouldnt shift sometimes, other than that it was a decent truck. Im not a fan of the ifs either.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you like auto's you will love the Allison. Keep it cool and clean and you shouldn't have any issues. As nice as the Allison is they rob a lot of power from the 8.1 and that means even worse fuel milage. What are your plans for the truck? What do you plan to pull with it? I would not buy this truck if you expect lots of power (10K or more lbs. will work this truck pretty hard) or good fuel mileage.

With 150K I would look at the front end for excessive play in any of the ball joints, bushings and pitman/idler arms. Two of my friends had 8.1's (one Allison and the other manual) and they both had to have the t-case replaced but I'm not sure what failed and why :confused: Other than that they seem to be a pretty decent reputation.

Remember upon purchase you will automatically become part of the "one burned out driving light club" :D

78mitsu

If you like auto's you will love the Allison. Keep it cool and clean and you shouldn't have any issues. As nice as the Allison is they rob a lot of power from the 8.1 and that means even worse fuel milage. What are your plans for the truck? What do you plan to pull with it? I would not buy this truck if you expect lots of power (10K or more lbs. will work this truck pretty hard) or good fuel mileage.

With 150K I would look at the front end for excessive play in any of the ball joints, bushings and pitman/idler arms. Two of my friends had 8.1's (one Allison and the other manual) and they both had to have the t-case replaced but I'm not sure what failed and why :confused: Other than that they seem to be a pretty decent reputation.

Remember upon purchase you will automatically become part of the "one burned out driving light club" :D

That's the biggest (non-voluntary) auto-clubs in America bub... Better watch what you say! ;)

rock4fun

The only pulling I would do with this truck is my toyota bugy on a 16' flat bed trailer and sometimes a 19' camp trailer. What should I expect for fuel milage?

Matt

My brother had one years ago that had exhaust, intake and chip done and pulled very well. I think the best he got towing was 9-10 miles per gallon.:ugh:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think it's a law of physics that Chevy big blocks WILL NOT get any better than 10mpg... but they will tow anything up to 7k with no change in mileage LOL