2001 Sequoia - Water Pump

ozzy702

Posting for a friend. 2001 Sequoia, water pump is leaking, probably time for a timing belt and tensioner.

Anyone know of a good shop and how many billable hours a job like this is?

He's had a crazy quote of $2,200 from a shop and I told him that was way too high.

Appreciate any feedback.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I paid $1100 to have a shop do that on my 2003 GX470 that has the same 4.7L V8, but that was in 2016. I would call around to different shops, including State Auto in SLC as they do a lot of work on Toyotas. You can get all the parts from @cruiseroutfit at Cruiser Outfitters if you decide to tackle it yourself.

Trate D

$2200 is ridiculous. It’s about a 4 hrs if memory serves correct. Where is he located?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I had my 2004 Sequoia done by Carl Malone in Riverton/Draper waterpump/timing belt/tensioner and I got a key programed at the same time and I think I was out the door around $500. This has been 5 years so who knows what it is now but that was the cheapest back then.

ozzy702

$2200 is ridiculous. It’s about a 4 hrs if memory serves correct. Where is he located?

He's in Sugarhouse. I was thinking $1300-$1500 would be reasonable including parts. The mechanic told him it needed a new radiator as well, so that's part of the $2,200. Not sure if it actually needs one or not.

I have way too much going on in my life right now to spare a day to do it in my driveway or I'd probably just offer to help him out.

Trate D

I had my 2004 Sequoia done by Carl Malone in Riverton/Draper waterpump/timing belt/tensioner and I got a key programed at the same time and I think I was out the door around $500. This has been 5 years so who knows what it is now but that was the cheapest back then.
This price doesn’t even seem feasible. That’s a deal of a lifetime.