2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
Hey guys,, looking for some thoughts on a 2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins that I am looking at. It is an automatic, 4x4, 126k on the odo. Decent condition.

Wondering about common failure points? I know about the lift pump issues and the tranny issues if the truck has been used hard.

Is there a good shop that I could take it to, to have it checked out?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Track bar wears out and front axle gets sloppy. There's a few different options to fix it, best is a kit to adapt a newer model track bar onto the older truck.

I'll sell you my '03 Ram, 4 Door, Laramie pkg (heated leather), on 35's for $18k. :eek: Of course after addressing the minor speed issue. It's new name is 'full-throttle'... :wtf: Oh, and it needs ball joints.

lenny

Track bar wears out and front axle gets sloppy. There's a few different options to fix it, best is a kit to adapt a newer model track bar onto the older truck.

Hmm, yes I did notice that the front end seems a bit sloppy on this truck.. probably something that needs to be addressed...

They are asking 14,900 but it is negotiable...

lenny

I'll sell you my '03 Ram, 4 Door, Laramie pkg (heated leather), on 35's for $18k. :eek: Of course after addressing the minor speed issue. It's new name is 'full-throttle'... :wtf: Oh, and it needs ball joints.

How many miles?

193kyle

I just picked up an 02 2500 about a month ago, and I must say, I absolutely love it. As far as problems, you pretty much got it covered, lift pump, trans and track bar. Is it stock or modded? The more mods, chances are the harder its been driven. If you take it to a shop to have it checked out have them check the fuel pressure, as that can be a good indication of the condition of the lift pump. the price sounds a little high, but depends on the condition. I paid 15k for mine with about 20k less miles than that one. Good luck.

Meat_

Banned
Ah, I just remember looking into it for my '98 and '99, thought the better track bar was with the new model change, '03+.
Yeah in '01 or '02 they replaced the tie rod end style on the frame side with a rubber bushing like the axle side has. I've decided just to go with the NAPA lifetime warrantied replacement and change it every 90k miles :D

lenny

I just picked up an 02 2500 about a month ago, and I must say, I absolutely love it. As far as problems, you pretty much got it covered, lift pump, trans and track bar. Is it stock or modded? The more mods, chances are the harder its been driven. If you take it to a shop to have it checked out have them check the fuel pressure, as that can be a good indication of the condition of the lift pump. the price sounds a little high, but depends on the condition. I paid 15k for mine with about 20k less miles than that one. Good luck.

It is all stock as far I can tell. I will definately have the lift pump/fuel pressure checked out. Other than basic trans checks (fluid, test drive) is there anyway to tell what kind of condition the tranny is in?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
As far as the tranny goes check for things like larger than stock overload springs, airbags, a fithwheel ball (or a spot where one was), and find out if it's been chipped. Just by driving it you can usually tell a lot (how it shifts under full throttle, and pulling a hill). Also pull the dipstick and smell the ATF I've test drove a few that seemed nice, but the fluid was black and smelt burnt.

The auto's in these trucks are decent unless it's been used to pull a lot or if it has had a chip or major engine upgrades. Awesome trucks anyway even if it did need some transmission work later on :) btw a trans temp guage is always a good investment too ;)

lenny

As far as the tranny goes check for things like larger than stock overload springs, airbags, a fithwheel ball (or a spot where one was), and find out if it's been chipped. Just by driving it you can usually tell a lot (how it shifts under full throttle, and pulling a hill). Also pull the dipstick and smell the ATF I've test drove a few that seemed nice, but the fluid was black and smelt burnt.

The auto's in these trucks are decent unless it's been used to pull a lot or if it has had a chip or major engine upgrades. Awesome trucks anyway even if it did need some transmission work later on :) btw a trans temp guage is always a good investment too ;)

Thanks!

This truck does have a mounting point for a 5th wheel,, but the truck still seems really strong. Would a 5th wheel mounting point be enough to deter you from purchasing a truck like this?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks!

This truck does have a mounting point for a 5th wheel,, but the truck still seems really strong. Would a 5th wheel mounting point be enough to deter you from purchasing a truck like this?

Hard to say, I could have been used to pull a large fithwheel often or a small one only a couple of times...

Is it a a private party seller? Any history on the truck would be nice to get. Most dealers can get a carfax for free--sometimes they are helpfull.

Meat_

Banned
This truck will have ATF +4 in it, you can't go by color or smell with +4. You can look for shiny bits in it, and rub it between your fingers to see if it feels funny.

CJ Matt

I would not buy a vehicle without a Carfax run on it and any dealership should be willing to provide one. I just bought an 05 about 6 weeks ago and saw one I thought had been wrecked while I was looking. They offered to run a Carfax on it but I wouldn't buy even if it had come up clean because of a few things that stood out. I managed to find one that didn't appear to ever have a break controller in it and did not have a 5th wheel attached. It has towed great so far but it will really get a good test when I go to the Rubicon next week. Make sure you look the whole thing over!

NYCEGUY01

I would stay away from the 24v trucks if possible. 12v or commonrail is a better way to go. IMO

I have a friend that owns a diesel performance shop and he only keeps 2 non-performance parts in stock. Oil filters and 24v injection pumps. lol

You would be much better off in the long run to spend a few thousand more on a common rail.

Im a 12v guy but can see the merits on a C.R. truck.

If it has a 5th wheel hitch and an auto it will need a trans sooner than later. Unless it not an option for you or your better half find a manual trans truck , especially if you are gonna do ANY power mods to the truck.

If you want let me know and Ill give you the number to my friends shop and you can ask the expert his opinions. He does nothing except work on diesel pickup trucks and Ill bet at least 90% of them are Dodges.

1993yj

Carfax reports are great if the vehicle has been to a shop or somewhere that reports to Carfax. From what I understand there are plenty of places that don't. Just because a report comes up clean doesn't necessarily mean anything.

If the dealership is paying for it though why not at least look at it?

lenny

I would stay away from the 24v trucks if possible. 12v or commonrail is a better way to go. IMO

I have a friend that owns a diesel performance shop and he only keeps 2 non-performance parts in stock. Oil filters and 24v injection pumps. lol

You would be much better off in the long run to spend a few thousand more on a common rail.

Im a 12v guy but can see the merits on a C.R. truck.

If it has a 5th wheel hitch and an auto it will need a trans sooner than later. Unless it not an option for you or your better half find a manual trans truck , especially if you are gonna do ANY power mods to the truck.

If you want let me know and Ill give you the number to my friends shop and you can ask the expert his opinions. He does nothing except work on diesel pickup trucks and Ill bet at least 90% of them are Dodges.

Yeah I would like to talk to your friend, PM me his number.

I don't think I want the 12v, simply because I don't want to be stuck with the older body style and interior. The common rail might be a good option, I just haven't seen many that are in my price range at this point.