2003 GMC Duramax, new to me tow rig

Bart

Well, as some of you know, after a couple of trips with passengers in the back seat of my extended cab SuperDuty,I was strongly influenced by my wife to get a tow rig with 4 real doors. The 99 PSD ran great but it just didn't fit my family well. It was sold to a kid in Moab last Tuesday, so maybe I'll get to see it again. I actually bought this replacement truck a couple of weeks ago. I had been looking for a decent 4 door for quite a while and the choice was between a crew cab 7.3 PSC or a crew cab Duramax. I was considering going gasser too if I found the right truck and of course budget played a big factor. This one popped up one morning on KSL and I was test driving by 9:00 and gave him a check by 10. It was priced several thousands below other comparably equipped trucks and he was getting calls and promises the whole time I was driving it. I think he realized in the end that he priced it a little low but I was happy with the deal. :greg:

It's a crew cab 2003 GMC 2500HD, with the 6.6 Duramax, Allyson transmission, 218k, leather, upgraded exhaust, new injectors in the past 5000 miles, blah blah blah. It has a very nice lift that I really don't care for but it doesn't look too bad. It had chrome alloys on it when I bought it and I had to tone down the bling a bit so I put some different wheels on it. Upcoming upgrades will be removing more bling, a different sound system with a back up camera, tow mirrors, intake upgrade, and a programmer/chip of some kind.

Overall, I love the way it drives, and tows, and it gets better mileage than my PSD. I'm a happy camper so far.
newshoes.jpg

Tonkaman

Beautiful truck you got there. I have an EFI Live V2 for sale if you decide to go that route. I miss my Duramax every day. I may even have a spare fuel filter and winter grill cover you could have

Bart

Thanks for the compliments, I am loving the truck. I know they're not the best but yesterday I picked up an Edge/Attitude chip and programmer with display for a price that was way to good to pass up. It will get me by until I need something else. Not really sure whether it's a 4" or 6" lift. I've had "experts" tell me they'r sure it's a 4" and others tell me it's for sure a 6". Tires are 325 65 18s, so 35s basically. I wish it was smaller but I really like the way it looks so I'll live with it.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have been thinking about gettin rid of the dodge and picking up a duramax.... Decisions, decisions.

LT.

I like it. Along with injectors be ready to have to replace the display. That is the single most item I have replaced in GM vehicles. An easy way to find out how big the lift is would be to measure the rear block size. A 4" block is a 6" lift. A 2" block is a 4" lift. Reason for the discrepancy is due to the vehicles being built with a 2" rake favoring the rear axle. Any lift will level the truck out. I hope that makes sense to ya'.

The Duramax is the mile per gallon king. The only truck to give it a run for its money would be a 1st Gen Dodge Cummins. The first Gen was a significantly lighter truck giving it great mileage. On the plus side if you were still in a Ford like Mitch you would be stuck upgrading the whole truck. You know, suspension, axles, turbo, brakes, gauges, ect., ect., ect.. LMFAO!

LT.

Chevycrew

Easier way to know for sure the lift size is to measure between the old lower a-arm mounting points and the new points.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
Hey Bart, your truck looks good with the black wheels, I had to cut the front bumper but your old wheels worked out pretty good for me, thanks again

20140620_193419_zps1ab49232.jpg

Bart

That looks sharp, glad they worked out Sean. Wish my day would have been less busy I would like to have met you.