2004 1/2 Jeep TJ/L (Wrangler Unlimited)

mariocherokee

'12 4Runner
I was wondering what everybody's opinion was on the new jeep that just came out. I have been a fan of the CJ-8 Scrambler for a long time and I think Jeep had the right idea when they wanted to come out with a longer wheelbase Wrangler. I think this could be an excellent project for those who can afford to buy one ($24,995).

Caleb

I think with a long arm kit and a set of 35s it would be an awesome rig. Although I saw one today with a soft top and I must say, the soft tops look pretty funny...

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The dealer in American Fork has a couple of them. The soft top does look a little strange...

I think they are cool. If I wanted a new Heep they would be on the list.

trpl xj

I too have always like the CJ8. And I think that this will be an awesome rig to build up, with that extra little bit of wheel base.

shmoesmith

yeah, I'm a zuk guy, but i think they are way cool..*if* i was in the market for a jeep, that would be the one I would buy

P

pokeyYJ

I went down and drove one, they are a little different when you are used to a regular Wrangler. At 103" wheelbase it is longer than my Range Rover, but my onyl real complaint is that for 2004-2005 you can only get them with an automatic, and with that THEY ARE GUTLESS!!!

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
I think the rear departure angle is kinda nasty. Given the length of the rig you would need at least a 5" lift and 35" to even think about doing much serious wheeling (breakover angle) and then you'd want to be able to be a little wider to compensate for the height.

I think in a couple of years when they can be picked up for cheap they would be awesome with that extra 5" cut off the back, stronger, wider axles and it would be sweet.

:)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Aren't they more 6ish than 8ish?

103" WB having breakover problems? thats only an inch more than a XJ (oc 1.1 inches brett), I still consider 103 relatively short compared to other rigs.

Cody

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Spork said:
I thought the rear was about the same as a regular TJ. I know they don't have a lot hanging out the back like the old scrambler...

The whole rig is exactly 15" longer. 10" in wheelbase and 5" added behind the rear wheels. The interesting part is if you look at it close it uses the same back-end as a regular TJ which would make it pretty simple to just cut off the extra 5" of frame and body to bring it back to the same as a SWB TJ.

As for the breakover angle, with the factory skid it is absolutely terrible. The new skid from 03 on is a total anchor. But, then again skids can be changed.

:)

Last edited: