2004 Cummins Common Rail "lift" pump ???

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What do the cool kids use for a pump upgrade on their Common Rail lift pumps? Truck is run at about stock levels (Edge EZ chip) and I'm not planning to upgrade to 4 turbos, 17" stacks to use up all my bed space, or an additional six cylinders to my truck.

My truck is an "early" 04 but it appears to have had the "in tank" pump conversion done on it? Can I just add a Fass or whatever like I would for an early '04 or should I be buying a kit for a late '04-'06 unit?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I just relocated it down lower and onto the frame. So far so good after 3 years. I need to do a pressure check again soon but I'm betting it's good. Best thing is to just get it a little lower and off the hot/vibrating engine.

Edit - I guess I should read. If you have an in-tank unit, I wouldn't sweat it. Just check the pressure on it every time you change your filter.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I just relocated it down lower and onto the frame. So far so good after 3 years. I need to do a pressure check again soon but I'm betting it's good. Best thing is to just get it a little lower and off the hot/vibrating engine.

Edit - I guess I should read. If you have an in-tank unit, I wouldn't sweat it. Just check the pressure on it every time you change your filter.

I'd LOVE to leave it alone. Unfortunately, it appears I need a pump. Variable cranking times but no issues when it's actually running. A few times, I wondered if it would start at all.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'd LOVE to leave it alone. Unfortunately, it appears I need a pump. Variable cranking times but no issues when it's actually running. A few times, I wondered if it would start at all.

I have a pressure tester if you need to borrow one. :) I suppose if you want to drop the coin, FASS is where it's at but I have no experience with them.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I have a pressure tester if you need to borrow one. :) I suppose if you want to drop the coin, FASS is where it's at but I have no experience with them.

I have one, but if it's not going to work out, I'll give you a call. It's going to get old quick driving my Jeep to work. I'm afraid to drive the truck much as I'd imagine it's not good for the injector pump to be fuel starved if that's what's happening?

Craig S

Commando
I put the Fass on my 03. It was a little pricy, but my truck runs like it is new again. It's mounted on the frame and makes a little noise when you turn the key on. I can't hear it when the truck runs. This is not the mega high output Fass. It was about $340. My truck is putting down 350 HP & 700 torque and it's plenty of pump.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I put the Fass on my 03. It was a little pricy, but my truck runs like it is new again. It's mounted on the frame and makes a little noise when you turn the key on. I can't hear it when the truck runs. This is not the mega high output Fass. It was about $340. My truck is putting down 350 HP & 700 torque and it's plenty of pump.

How long have you had it on? I think Ian has one on his truck as well. I'm inclined to do the FASS with two other peeps I know having one.

Bob B

I'm running a FASS on my 03. It's noisy, but thats cause of where I mounted it. I know two people that are running the Airdogs and have had mixed results. Bryson is running one and is going to have to replace the line cause it is cracking. I'm sure you can find problems w/ both makes.

I talked to the guys at G+R diesel about harming the CP3 by running it dry before I got my FASS pump, he said to won't harm it like it does the other injection pumps. The truck just dies. Take it or leave it, that's just what he said. I like to err on the safe side with that stuff.

mbryson

Supporting Member
.....I talked to the guys at G+R diesel about harming the CP3 by running it dry before I got my FASS pump, he said to won't harm it like it does the other injection pumps. The truck just dies. Take it or leave it, that's just what he said. I like to err on the safe side with that stuff.

I have your same opinion and will be driving my Jeep until my pump arrives. The truck barely fits in at work. The Jeep doesn't at all, but....

mbryson

Supporting Member
OK, I had to drive the truck yesterday/today (6 am meetings and I'm still on Pacific time) to work rather than the Jeep. I've also had to run a bunch of errands for work using my truck. I've had to start it say, 20-30 times in the past couple of days and I've had zero issues. The thing is starting perfect since I put fresh deezel in it. Could I have had a bad fuel batch or something to cause that kind of an issue? I still haven't checked the pressure.

I don't trust it at this point but don't want to drop $400 if I don't have to. I should invent some time to pressure test the fuel I guess. Probably the smartest thing to do.

LT.

The difference between the FASS and the Air Dog is only a few dollars. In the past the Air Dog has been slightly cheaper than the FASS. I don't think there is any difference in quality.

LT.

Master Pull

I think you might have injector issues, this is going to suck but hear me out.

Last July I purchased my dodge, 03 CTD blah blah blah. Fast forward to January and we were having some colder weather (freezing to mid 40s), my truck would take a long time to start. Take a video of your truck when it is cranking cold and we can see how long it is, I thought mine was cranking for a long time and it was only 5 seconds or so. Which is still way to long for a CTD.

Now we checked my pressure and it was only putting out something like 8psi from the lift pump so we decided I would just replace it with a FASS because it had the better filtration system. The factory filtration system that dodge puts on the truck is somewhere in the 10 micron level I believe, the injectors built by bosch don't like that, they want much cleaner fuel and this has caused many injector problems for the trucks when you get more miles on them. So you can buy a FASS that has a 3 micron fuel filter on it and get much cleaner fuel to your rig. One more thing about the trucks and the FASS is don't use the draw straw, or if you do don't ever go below 1/4 tank. We ended up picking up a sending unit from Chrysler that has no pump in it, essentially the one that would come in the truck originally when the pump was located on the firewall. This lets you use a factory fuel pickup and you can run the tank down much further.

Ok so we put the FASS and finally got everything sealed and working properly the day before I drove 1300 miles to the hammers. We had to take a dremel to the sending unit and take off about a MM around the edge to make it fit but that wasn't a problem once we figured out what we needed to do. Anyways loaded the truck up and drove to KOH, everything was fine and dandy till I went to move the truck friday morning and it wouldn't start, cranking for 10 seconds at a time and nothing. Well I guess it wasn't just my lift pump that was bad. So the next day when we were getting ready to leave I plugged the truck into a generator and warmed the motor up before we left and it started up alot easier.

Once I got back I started checking around more and more and this was very common for the common rail CTD. The injectors fail because of the pressure and since you are running a pressure box on the truck (any edge type of programmer relies on increased pressure to the fuel rail) you run the risk of damaging your injectors even more. When I went to purchase my injectors it took me a couple of months to get them because they were nationally back ordered. Bosch recently moved their production from Germany to Brazil and the time it takes to fill an order of injectors increased, plus they are still making the injectors for the new trucks coming out so that is their first priority.

When I picked mine up we went with 50hp nozzles on them because it was only a few hundred extra $$ so why not, the total bill on the parts was around $2400, plus the FASS I had installed earlier in the winter.

Short notes:

-If its cold out and the truck wont start easily it is probably injectors
-Edge is bad for injectors
-Injectors are expensive
-Good luck.

-Alex