2004 LJ LS swap - Transfer case shift linkage replacement to cable system

Mufasa_swap

I'm hoping that someone will have some insight for me. I did a LS Swap with 4L60e to the stock 231 Transfer case. I have a 1" body lift and tried to use the drop plate however the linkage hits the screws and doesnt allow the shifter to engage 4Low. I see that t her are several types of cable conversion kits and was hoping that someone has already done the work.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
KJ liberty used a cable shifter to accuate the nv231j. Teraflex used to offer a kit based on those parts. But truly if you pulled the whole shifter and tcase side from a junkyard kj you'd see it will easily adapt to the TJ shift handle since the majority of the assembly uses the same parts.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'm hoping that someone will have some insight for me. I did a LS Swap with 4L60e to the stock 231 Transfer case. I have a 1" body lift and tried to use the drop plate however the linkage hits the screws and doesnt allow the shifter to engage 4Low. I see that t her are several types of cable conversion kits and was hoping that someone has already done the work.
I used the Savvy off road t-caseshifter kit on my 2004 TJ Rubicon. They make a different part for the 231 but it’s the same concept. I did a 1” body lift along with 1” motor mount lift and Barnes skid plate. All of those mods made me worried that the stock shifter wouldn’t work well so I just bit the bullet on the cable shifter. I didn’t drive it after the mods with the factory shifter as I did all the upgrades at once.

The only difficulty was in making sure the cable shifter mounts were all tight. It gets pretty tight up in there and getting to a couple of the bolts was a challenge.

Mufasa_swap

I appreciate all the feedback! I think i'm going to go with the #SK2XC Cable Shifter Assembly from Novak as i want to keep the stock shifter and it looks like its a pretty easy install with exception of removing the existing bracket from the transmission body. As we know its only two nuts but its a tight fit and I'm not able to get a socket on them. Again, I appreciate all the feed back.

UPNO4

Addicted
Cable shifter is the way to go. Once I started swapping to the cable shifters I won't do TJ's any other way.
Novak, Savvy and Advanced Adapters all make a version and they all seem to work the same. Advanced has a New inside shifter as well