2004 tacoma clutch swap questions

jccobia

Just got it in the mail today. I have never tackled something this mechanical and would love some input. What tools do I need and any tips. If anyone wants to help I will provide lunch beer soda and I will trade labor. Let me know guys. Thank you.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
4 or a 6 cyl? I swapped the one in my 2.7L a few years back, I've linked some of the tools I used.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-heavy-duty-flexible-ratchet-96369.html this was great for the hard to reach bolts where you couldn't get a straight handle ratchet on it. A crowsfoot was helpful for getting the driveline bolts undone. The bolts that held on the flywheel were a little strange I used some spline sockets http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-metric-spline-socket-set-96362.html to get them off. I got my flywheel resurfaced at Six states in Salt lake. I also used a transmission jack http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html to get it in position. I ended up needing some extra hands getting it lined back up because it shifted when I pulled it out.

I've got a jack if you need one, overall it wasn't too bad, I spent way too much time on the drive line bolts than I should have, they had never been removed and a normal wrench didn't have the leverage I needed.
From memory here's how I remember doing it
remove drive lines from transfer case
remove shift levers
remove cross member (support transmission/transfer case with jack)
unbolt starter (pull ground from battery first) I tied it out of the way but did not remove.
unbolt clutch slave cylinder again tied out of the way.
remove bolts attaching bell housing to engine
slide out/drop transmission/transfer case unit
remove pressure plate/clutch
unbolt flywheel
remove pilot bearing (I made something to pull mine, I'm sure there is an easier way to do it)
reverse procedure to reassemble, make sure you use a clutch alignment tool so everything goes together and is lined up.

Last edited:

jccobia

4 or a 6 cyl? I swapped the one in my 2.7L a few years back, I've linked some of the tools I used.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-heavy-duty-flexible-ratchet-96369.html this was great for the hard to reach bolts where you couldn't get a straight handle ratchet on it. A crowsfoot was helpful for getting the driveline bolts undone. The bolts that held on the flywheel were a little strange I used some spline sockets http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-metric-spline-socket-set-96362.html to get them off. I got my flywheel resurfaced at Six states in Salt lake. I also used a transmission jack http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html to get it in position. I ended up needing some extra hands getting it lined back up because it shifted when I pulled it out.

Its a 6 thanks for the advice. Im just going to wing tomorrow

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Ive never done it in a taco, but its all just nuts and bolts. Make good notes about where stuff comes from to make it easier to put back together.

-And dont drop the trani on your chest.. Ouch.

jccobia

Ive never done it in a taco, but its all just nuts and bolts. Make good notes about where stuff comes from to make it easier to put back together.

-And dont drop the trani on your chest.. Ouch.

I have only changed oil batteries similarly easy thinga never tackled a job like this. But the clutch went out the day I got laid off so I need to fix it to fond a job and cant afford a lot more.

audiofreak97

V6 isn't much different from the 4 cyl steps stated above. The exhaust collector may cause you some headaches as it's attached to the bell housing, and may get in the way of things while you are trying to take the trans out and put it back in. Get a loooong extension and a good universal for those top bolts. If you have a body lift it makes the job a bit easier.

jccobia

V6 isn't much different from the 4 cyl steps stated above. The exhaust collector may cause you some headaches as it's attached to the bell housing, and may get in the way of things while you are trying to take the trans out and put it back in. Get a loooong extension and a good universal for those top bolts. If you have a body lift it makes the job a bit easier.

I have at least a 3 in bod lift. Do I need to take off the front and rear drive shafts?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have at least a 3 in bod lift. Do I need to take off the front and rear drive shafts?

Yup. You'll need to drop the transmission and lower it out of the way, can't do that with the driveshafts attached to the tcase.

"At least" a three inch body lift?

audiofreak97

with a 3 inch body lift you may not need the extension to get the top bolts. just reach in the engine bay for the top two and through the wheel wells for the top side bolts... if you have long enough arms.

jccobia

Yup. You'll need to drop the transmission and lower it out of the way, can't do that with the driveshafts attached to the tcase.

"At least" a three inch body lift?
I bought the truck lifted so I am unsure of the body lift or even the front lift but I know its sitting on chevy 63s in the rear. Its time to just go and try to tackle this beast and learn to change a clutch.

audiofreak97

I've you've never done a clutch before be careful with that transmission when you get it out. It's heavy and awkward with that t-case hanging off the back end. I would suggest getting that HF trans jack in post #2 if you haven't done so already. Good luck!

jccobia

I've you've never done a clutch before be careful with that transmission when you get it out. It's heavy and awkward with that t-case hanging off the back end. I would suggest getting that HF trans jack in post #2 if you haven't done so already. Good luck!
I was laid off and cant start my next job till my truck is running so no jack and barely the right tools. Money is much to tight. But I have a good job just waiting for me. But It starts monday so I need to get this done. So im out here winging it.

sixstringsteve

if you're not going to buy a haynes or chilton manual for the tacoma, at least look up a few articles on ttora or t4r or tacomaworld. Chances are good you'll forget one or two bolts if you're just winging it and not following any notes. An extra one or two bolts is extremely frustrating when trying to separate the tranny.

I'd also pick up a rear main seal while you're in there. You might as well swap it since it's right in front of you. $10, 2 minutes, and cheap insurance (just be careful removing the old one).

jccobia

Iam not a mechanic but I dont know any other way to become one. It would be nice if I had a few friends who knew what they were doing. Just any one interested in wheeling and wrenching.

jccobia

Cool, if you have the repair manual, just follow those instructions and it should be good.

I need more tools...time to go spend money I dont have yet...trucks can be so cool but damn expensive. Getting laid off and lossing my clutch the same day was a bitch. Im just glad I found a job all ready so im only going to miss 2 weeks of work. Hopefully this is a good learning experience.

sixstringsteve

go to harbor freight for cheap tools. i recommend a few u-joint extensions, wobbly extensions, and a swivel-head driver. That and a set of metric sockets and you should be good.