2005 TJ Axles

KC7SMO

'Yup, its Ham Radio...
Hey everyone,

I am trying to ID my 2005 TJ front axle so I can regear it. I assumed it was a Dana 30, however if I look it up on Randy's Ring & Pinion, it suggests that the 2005 TJ's had a Dana 44 up front. Here is the info off the axle, if anyone could help I would sure appreciate it!

thanks

Numbers on diff cover itself:

40869-1
329-4
REV S

Numbers on tag:
52099200AB
3.73 611312

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This should help:

attachment.php

Attachments

• danaAxleId303544.jpg
    danaAxleId303544.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 57

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Numbers on tag:
52099200AB
3.73 611312

This is weird... This number 611312 is from an 02 TJ. An 05 would be 611381... You might want to look for this same 6 digit number on the long side axle tube, facing front and confirm it. Reason I say that is I have seen some shops replace the TJ dana 30 with a ZJ dana 30; which are NOT compatible, especially with gears!

KC7SMO

'Yup, its Ham Radio...
I'll double check the tag again here in a while, but I am pretty sure that is the number. Thanks for the info.

How about max tire size on a D30? I'm going to have the gears done soon, so I need to decide on a tire size before the gears are put in. I was thinking 33's, but since a 33 is really only about 31.5", would it be safe to go with a 35, which is really about 33???

Or is that too tall for a dana 30?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'll double check the tag again here in a while, but I am pretty sure that is the number. Thanks for the info.

How about max tire size on a D30? I'm going to have the gears done soon, so I need to decide on a tire size before the gears are put in. I was thinking 33's, but since a 33 is really only about 31.5", would it be safe to go with a 35, which is really about 33???

Or is that too tall for a dana 30?

That number is probably correct on the tag, but check the axle tube. The tag is easily changed, but the number on the tube isn't.

D30 is good for 35" tires as long as it has 4340 shafts in it. The OEM Spicer shafts can't really handle much more than a 31" tire. The ball joints and unit bearing can't really handle much more than a 35" tire, either.

As for a 35" tire actually being 33", that's all different from manufacture to manufacture and I think that's also an exxageration. Such as Mickey Thompson, their Baja Claw actually measures out to 35".

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I see it more on wrecked rigs than I do others and the fact the BOM# he gave is for an 02 TJ, and he has an 05 TJ, it has me asking for more verification before I would buy gears.