2007 Dodge 2500 CTD question

So I just bought a new truck, 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, has a 6" lift and 37" tires. . . For a 20' car hauler simmilar to
auto7.jpg

What kind of drop is needed to accomodate the trailer? It is a tandem axle with trailer brakes ofc, I am pulling a 6000 lb jeep grand cherokee

My trailer is at the shop with some electrical switchgear that is being painted right now so I cant actually measure the height of the tongue and the wife drove the truck to work, i did after all buy it for her. . . .wink wink. . .

thoughts?

Also where's a good place to buy a fiberglass tonneau cover (painted)?

Meat_

Banned
You want the trailer level when it's loaded, so you'll need at LEAST a 10" drop. Typically a trailer wants the hitch 16~18"'s off the ground.... but like I said, you want it LEVEL when it's loaded (or very slightly up at the tounge).

Yea I figured as much, i'll have to measure the tongue of the trailer and go from there when I get it back. I have seen the occasional adjustable trailer hitches around town, where do you get em and thoughs on weather you like them or not and where to get em?

Thank you

Jer

Meat_

Banned
That will be a good place to start, but you need to know how much the load will set your truck down. I won't use any adjustable other than a Quickdraw.

One of my buddies told me not to go the adjustable rout as he has personally seen them break. The tongue weight also on most of the adjustable ones that I have seen is like 1500 lbs, that seems pretty light but maybe its just me never really paying attention.

Meat_

Banned
One of my buddies told me not to go the adjustable rout as he has personally seen them break. The tongue weight also on most of the adjustable ones that I have seen is like 1500 lbs, that seems pretty light but maybe its just me never really paying attention.

Which adjustable? They are not created equal. Look at your hitch, it says max tongue weight 1,000lbs ;)

Most of the adjustable aluminum hitches I found have at most a 10" drop, not gonna cut it.

I found a 13" adjustable Pintlehook ball mount, so I bought that, along with a Pintlehook & 2" ball combo, rated at 16,000 lbs so thats the route I went if any one cares.

Until I can afford a custom made gooseneck this is how it has to be, the problem is finding a drop hitch that has more than a 5000lb rating, the Pintlehook has a 13k rating and 1500lb tongue rating which is more than i'l lever need, I am happy with my purchase.

Meat_

Banned
Like I said Quickdraw They are stronger than the receiver on your truck, why would you need anything stronger?

And if you did, go to the QuickDraw pintle It's only 7.5" but it has 3200lb tounge weight and 16000lb towing

Last edited:

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Whats up meat, finally got internet again. was good to see you at the board meeting.

Don't think I'm trying to but in and be a salesman here, but we sell the allumi stinger adjustables at work (4wp) and i haven't had any of them come back, unfortunately they only go to a 10" drop. I sell alot to contractors that haul equipment and don't have any problems. the weight rating on them i think is 8,000 lbs. I know the solid aluminum are up to 12" are rated up to 10,000.

As far as a fiberglass toneau cover, they're not cheap, but we sell the Gaylord Lids covers. they are pretty nice cuz they paint to match, have available carpet kit, remote entry and are lighted.

Like I said, not trying to be a salesman here, just throwing out ideas.

rolloverBill

So I just bought a new truck, 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, has a 6" lift and 37" tires. . . For a 20' car hauler simmilar to
auto7.jpg

What kind of drop is needed to accomodate the trailer? It is a tandem axle with trailer brakes ofc, I am pulling a 6000 lb jeep grand cherokee

My trailer is at the shop with some electrical switchgear that is being painted right now so I cant actually measure the height of the tongue and the wife drove the truck to work, i did after all buy it for her. . . .wink wink. . .

thoughts?

Also where's a good place to buy a fiberglass tonneau cover (painted)?
I know that you are looking at the drop hitch question however Air bags are wonderful!!!! Not much sagg with the right pressure. I won't own another 3/4 without them.