2009 - TakeBackUtah.org

v-stone

So is the issue simply as KSL suggests, between "off-roaders" who want access to all lands for all people and the environmentalist who are concerned about erosion and flammable weeds or is it a greater issue of the state vs Fed control of the land?

The name "Take Back UT" seems to suggest the later and that's why I was there. I believe the land needs to be managed, but I want that land managed by Utahns not a Fed gone wild. I don't want motorized vehicles blazing over every square inch of land but I want a comprehensive trail system. I bet anyone reading this would gladly stomp the guts of anyone they saw doing something stupid out there (figuratively of course).
I bet both sides of the issue could see the value of a resource plan that would generate more revenue for UT which would INCREASE resources to protect the land and enforce designated trail policies.

Agreed!

I was not there for more trails at all. I do want to keep the trails we have but the real issue is in local control of our land. There is power in the control of land and we need to keep that power in the hands of the people not the Federal Government.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
We made national news, I saw us on FOX news today while at the BK Lounge. I couldn't hear what they had to say but it was basically the anchor speaking over the video of random shots about the place.

XJEEPER

Met some new folk and chatted with old faces. Great turnout but the media coverage was way biased and less than accurate. I saw not one protestor against TBU, a couple of suspects but no open confrontation......guess they were letting their media pals handle this event.

We need to keep TBU alive and spread the word. I was surprised that more sportsmen and
ATV clubs weren't there, thought I would have seen more RME and SLC Jeep List faces too. Engaging and educating the educators is a great idea.......UEA for TBU, I like it!

Here's some shots from the NAXJA crowd.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004525

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Your spot on JL, and that's what has me so upset about the coverage. The news interviewed a mom whose upset that her son got ticketed for speeding on his atv... Good! That's not why we rallied yesterday.. The coverage by most news was skewed and distorted. This leaves the public to think the rally was for upset rednecks who don't want be ticketed, have more trails, and carry thier guns as they please.

I think next rally needs to be more focussed on the Utah education side of things. That if Utah could control more land than we do currently, there'd be more revenue inside the state to help fund Utahs education ptograms.

Get Utah teachers to join in the parade with antena flag that say 'Utah teacher', or something, so that you would clearly how many teachers were there in addition to the other land users in general.

I think rally should step more in that direction so that the public will have to question tribune reports that still claim the rally to be about opening more trails. It'd take it to a larger level, and much larger audience willing to listen and join the fight.

My $0.02 anyway

I agree with this totally.

We are starting to get a voice, but now we need to take more control of the agenda at these events. Of course when we get the attention of the politicians they are going to take the stage and do their political posturing, but we also need to have speakers that will get our message of education and stewardship out.

I would much rather of had someone like Del Albright speaking than having the stage turned over to some wacko lady so she could get in an election speech for free.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The media is part of the problem.

Exactly

The more I think about it, the more I believ that bringing in the education side of Utah will be the winning ticket. It will be a 1-2 combo punch, that SUWA wouldn't be able to easily oppose.

It would:

1) Add the traction needed to get FAR more support than we ever imagined since education effects ALL Utahns current and future. The public currently sees our rally from the way the news reports it and thinks to themselves, "what a bunch of selfish A-holes to think that they should get more trails to destroy".. I don't blame them. But ignorance is not bliss.

2) SUWA would look very bad to stand against the betterment of Utah's education situation. Land use froma recreation stand point does not effect most of Utahns, but education does and will. THAT has to be the main focus from here on out if it's to go anywhere IMO.

Don, agreed that the free mic was a bad idea. Next rally should include actual messages with factual information outlining the problem (Fed's owning/running 67% of land, and WHY that is not good for Utahns). The WHY is a big deal. Nobody really went into WHY except maybe Shurtlef from what I remember. But hell, that's the reason everyone is there so let's talk about WHY it's bad and what can be done to fix it to BENEFIT ALL UTAHNS.

While on the 'mic' topic, even Mike Swensen got out of hand with his gun comments. This just detracts and makes the group look that much more ridiculous IMO. Stick to the main issues, talk about your gun afterwards..

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Or, we could embrace the image and take to the streets with farming implements and torches..... but we should try your way first.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I was pretty impressed by the turnout. Much bigger than I expected.

Other than the country music perpetuating the common stereotype that we are all a bunch of low-brow rednecks, I thought it was a great demonstration of our cause.

I may not agree with the side of all the interests present (oil development for one) but at least we can stand together on a single common issue.

ret32

Some pics
I guess I was right behind you bobmed! You have a pic of my WJ following you up the hill. KSL got the same shot. With my 4 year old waving out the sunroof!
0809091320.jpg
...Chris Brimhall said the the SLCPD told him it was the best organized prade on the streets of SLC that hey had ever been involved with. it looked like it went off with any problems.
Thanks to Chris and Rick and so on and so on. My wife and I were on volunteer duty, I don't know that many of us volunteers really knew what to do, but there were so many of us that everything got done without incident. The participants were great as well, everyone was on their best behavior, really good to see.

I think that the success of Take Back Utah is simply the fact that it happened. The Jeeps were there, the rock crawlers were there, the atvs were there, the dirt bikes were there, the oil companies were there, the ranchers were there, the mountain bikes were there (yes there were several mountain bikers in attendance), and even several groups of Americans with Disabilities proponents were there. We all definitely do not see eye to eye on the management of public lands. However, we all want to Take Back Utah, each in our own individual way.

Another thing I was incredibly impressed about! At the volunteer meeting on Friday night, they asked for 30 or so volunteers to sign up for clean up duty after the rally. They expressed a deep concern that we had to leave the State Capital absolutely spotless if we didn't want our message to get drowned out by trashing the event venues. By 2:30, when the band was still playing, half the volunteers had left because there was nothing to clean up!!! My kids and I scoured about 3 acres of lawn between the stage and the street; in that space, we found about 10 pieces of tiny garbage that easily fit in the palm of my hand, small stuff like a couple of cigarette butts, a gum wrapper, small torn pieces of paper, little things like that. The crowd was very well behaved and kept the grounds clean throughout.

Hopefully some excitement and momentum has been started that will carry forward to future events and actions!

ricsrx

Tbu

Now that i have had several days to let this exsperience sink in and read the RME posts and get my panties in a knot over the news coverage. And wishing there were x4 more.

I am so excited this event even happened, I am only one person, how many people did i help decide to support this cause?

Could I have done more?

I am a fence sitter on land issues, my additude is more of the burning tourches and pitchforks kind of response.

O.K. When's the next rally? These can't be cheap to put together,
Is the clean up the next oganized function?

Rick

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I happened to catch a little bit of AYL last night. :cool:

The only rig I recognised was Cody's..

I think AYL missed the "bigger picture" of the rally as well.. They seemed to be far more 'keep trails open' than I would've expected.. It was well done, but I would've hoped that they'd have talked more about the money that the state is missing out on due to the Fed's owning so much land.. That to me is the bigger picture. "Take Back Utah", FWIK, means give the control back to the counties... Time to focus and promote what other benefits can come from power being restored to the counties...

The media "knows" we want more trails, but what will the media come up with when the united effort brings the entire state's education system in on the game? They'll be at a loss for words.

Last edited: