2011 Crawlfest

LT.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

I was trying to decide on what had happened to the cage that would have caused this fellas injury. The cage really does not look like a bad design. I am ignorant on cage design. It looks like the cage bent slightly and shifted towards the rear of the Jeep. Thus decreasing head room probabally from the impact at the "A" pillar. I am relieved that the injuries were not worse than they were. Can someone please comment on a better design. The cage did not look all that bad to me.

LT.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Forward rolls are hard rolls man... Most cages would tweek quite a bit. Why that one moved as much as it did? I'm going to guess it's due to the way the b pillar was made and also the bend at the end of the c-pillar. Goes from a diagonal spread and turns downward. Taking the force from hit like that is just going to kink that c-pillar and allow the cage to fold backward like it did.

The lines also feel like they already want to fall backward, just by design.

We don't even know what type of steel the cage is made out of either.

Hope he's ok. Head injuries are always a bad thing.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
IMO, the biggest flaw is the B-pillar raked back so far to begin with, then you add a bend in the middle of it makes it worse. Remember the rule: "a bent tube is half way to failure". It may not have mattered to much on this roll though because the impact was so hard on the very top of the A-pillar.
The strongest option that could have prevented this failure would to have been not having a bend in the C-pillar. With a straight bar going to the B-pillar, it would have prevented the bend. But keeping it straight lessens head room and such for rear passengers. So that may have prevented that option.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Forward rolls are hard rolls man... Most cages would tweek quite a bit. Why that one moved as much as it did? I'm going to guess it's due to the way the b pillar was made and also the bend at the end of the c-pillar. Goes from a diagonal spread and turns downward. Taking the force from hit like that is just going to kink that c-pillar and allow the cage to fold backward like it did.

The lines also feel like they already want to fall backward, just by design.

:rofl:

So that's why my nose was itching. Does this make me as smart as Herzog? :D

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

Talking to the guy that was driving it today, the cage was made out of DOM. I am not sure what size, but by just eyeballing it, I am going to say it was 1.5....but don't quote me 100% on that.

The cut on his head was not bad enough to need stiches.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm so glad I stayed home and worked the weekend! That didn't look like fun at all :rolleyes: Great pics you guy's! I saw the blood and expected the worst--good to hear there was no serious injuries! :ugh:

jardine

our trailer sucks and fishtales like a mother! we were wondering if there is anyone in the st george/cedar city area that might have a equalizer hitch we could borrow/rent/have/buy so we can drive home faster then 35mph! any help or leads on one would be mucho grateful! please call drew or eric.

drew 801.787.3351

eric 801.857.7013

crawl on brethern!

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
"our trailer sucks and fishtales like a mother!"

It sounds like your load isn't balanced right on the trailer. A simple thing to do when you load up the trailer is to measure the hitch height empty, then measure the hitch height again loaded. Depending on the tow vehicle, trailer and vehicle that you load on the trailer you need the hitch height to drop enough to get proper tongue weight for stability. My personal rule of thumb is to have at least 1-inch of drop in hitch height and no more than 1.5-inches of drop - this is with a 1-ton Dodge CTD dually pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded with a 5,000 to 6,000 lb. vehicle. Moving the load back and forth on the trailer even small distances can have large effects on towing.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
"our trailer sucks and fishtales like a mother!"

It sounds like your load isn't balanced right on the trailer. A simple thing to do when you load up the trailer is to measure the hitch height empty, then measure the hitch height again loaded. Depending on the tow vehicle, trailer and vehicle that you load on the trailer you need the hitch height to drop enough to get proper tongue weight for stability. My personal rule of thumb is to have at least 1-inch of drop in hitch height and no more than 1.5-inches of drop - this is with a 1-ton Dodge CTD dually pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded with a 5,000 to 6,000 lb. vehicle. Moving the load back and forth on the trailer even small distances can have large effects on towing.

what he said

our trailer sucks and fishtales like a mother! we were wondering if there is anyone in the st george/cedar city area that might have a equalizer hitch we could borrow/rent/have/buy so we can drive home faster then 35mph! any help or leads on one would be mucho grateful! please call drew or eric.

drew 801.787.3351

eric 801.857.7013

crawl on brethern!

I'm right near the Texaco at Exit 16. We're headed to eat and then headed northward PDQ. I'll PM you my number if you need some help getting the tongue weight right. Bust up here and let's get you situated correctly.

jardine

got everything set up right we stopped and reloaded the trailer a few time on the way down here. a bigger drop hitch and letting some air out of the airbags helped us out quite a bit. another fun trip in the books. thanks steve for putting on a great event!

R

rockdog

Good thread Marc, I've enjoyed the pics others have shared. Hope more will add theirs when the get home.:cool:

Bart

Great thread. Looks like a blast. Wish I could have made it down there. I think that white buggy in the first vid that had the good save was Doug Liktie's rig. Did it have an M40 sticker on it?

Also got some vids from a friend of mine named Jake. He has a green tubed CJ 6ish looking buggy and was putting on quite a show from the vids. He's always up for a good time.