2013 Summer Quarterly Training Day Trip Report

sixstringsteve

We had another great Quarterly Training Day. Many thanks to the presenters, attendees, Jack-it, and Alljeep.com. What a great group of people.

Friday night we covered the following topics:

- Introductions
- How to prepare for a trip and what to bring
- Geology of AF Canyon and other parts of Utah (Davy @ Alljeep)
- Camping Gear 101 (Davy @ Alljeep)
- Tread Lightly/Trail Ettiquette
- Where to go wheeling in Utah

IMG_4726%2520Stitch.jpg

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

It was really cool to see a moose pass through our campsite. I'm sure some of you have much better pictures of the moose.

IMG_4771.JPG

From there we split up into 3 groups to put our new knowledge to the test: 1 to Forest Lake, and 2 different groups to Mineral Basin.

We were in the second Mineral Basin group. Nobody had run the trail but me. The trail seemed rockier and rougher to me this year.

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

Poe_student did amazing in his stock F250.

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4818.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Once we made it past the rock garden we continued on.

IMG_4823.JPG

IMG_4825.JPG

IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

Steve decided to try the harder stuff in his Isuzu.

IMG_4847.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

We decided to put our recovery skills to the test rather than risking damage. With a quick pull on the strap it came right up.

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4862.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Next up was Brett in his Blazer.

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

It looks so tiny in pictures.

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4870.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

After some good attempts, Brett, Hans, and I decided to head back down while the rest continued on.

IMG_4881.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Rock Taco and I decided to do some more exploring, and we went up to Miller Hill. I had always wanted to visit this area, but I never knew how to access it. This is my new favorite area up here.

IMG_4895%2520Stitch.jpg

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

From the top of Miller Hill we could see the Mineral Basin ski lift.

IMG_4901.JPG

We could also see the trail to pittsburgh lake, but we couldn't see the lake. I think it's hidden by the trees.

IMG_4910.JPG

I think the lake is somewhere in here:

IMG_4916.JPG

We explored the area and found some mine entrances.

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

Then we headed back down, and headed home.

Last edited:

tuner

It was great seeing all the rigs up there. I have been on that trail many times and its always fun. I did forest lake and Mary Ellen gulch that morning before I found you guys on mineral basin. I drove the crap out of my 4runner Saturday! Here are some pictures.

null-1571.jpg

null-2237.jpg

null-2368.jpg

null-1356.jpg

null-272.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Some pics from the Forest Lake group. There were only four of us and I was the only one who had been up there. Vinny in the Silver Xj was on his first wheeling trip ever and he is hooked. He managed to get through and only smash a hub cap.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Up top after the last mud hole I decided I need to paint my wheels black

It was really cool to be a trail guide for some new people. I'm really glad I showed up because Kepler in the green JK was the only one that ran Forest Lake that didn't come with me that morning. Vinny turned out to be a natural and did amazingly well. Next time I take him out I will take him up Mineral Basin because I have that much confidence in his driving ability and his listening ability as well.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Thank you for leading that group Brian, they were in good hands. The rig looks great with black wheels.

No problem

So I'm hoping Mike the guy in the black JK will come over to RME soon. He is really into ForbiddenJeeps and it's a great site but they just don't have the Utah following like this place.

skeptic

Great trip all - thanks to Steve for putting it on. My first time all the way up Mineral Basin, I took my Cherokee part way in the past, but we were stopped by snow. I was sure I wouldn't make it through the big rock off camber section (I really don't like off camber stuff), but with trust in my spotter it was easier than I expected. It actually seemed worse on the way back down.

Since several people asked, I looked up the the wheelbase of my T - 134.2". Long enough to make some areas seem easier, but I used the sliders and under carriage protection quite a bit as well.

We were the last ones pulling out of camp, someone left a folding chair so we picked it up - not sure who's it is but I'm sure we can find a way to get it back to the owner. One of those small 3 legged ones. If you left one sitting by the community fire pit I have it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'll have some video once my PC stops misbehaving. I did kick my wife out of the truck to snap photos a couple times though.

Maverick giving us a history lesson. It was great to follow him up the trail and hear his memories of what it used to be like.
IMAG0940.jpg

The first ledge at the switchback
IMAG0943.jpg
IMAG0944.jpg
IMAG0946.jpg

The offcamber washout
IMAG0051.jpg
IMAG0052.jpg
IMAG0053.jpg
IMAG0055.jpg

Last edited: