2015 Tacoma purchase? Or wait for the next gen?

cackalak

Looking to pick up a new Tacoma, as I've been without a proper truck for a while. I've actually been waiting for more than a year, as rumors last year said a new gen for 2015 (which didn't happen). I'm almost sick of waiting and was thinking of picking up a '15. Unless the campsite is just over the next hill....

Other than MPG, not sure what I would really want over the current gen. But if the new gen gets 25+ MPG, I would kick myself for buying a '15. So who's got a crystal ball?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Was chatting with the product lead for the Tacoma/Tundra and he said "expect exciting things" out of the new Tacoma beyond new trim. And no, diesels are not happening anytime soon.

Caleb

I was in the same boat last year around this time. I really liked the current gen so I went with the 2014 rather than risk the next gen coming out and hating it.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
Was chatting with the product lead for the Tacoma/Tundra and he said "expect exciting things" out of the new Tacoma beyond new trim. And no, diesels are not happening anytime soon.

I sure hope so Kurt! I have been told the same thing from a few sources at the corporate level. The current tacoma is the longest running body style Toyota has ever had. (10 years without real change) they have had plenty of time to think about it lol

In simple terms the "modern day" or Toyota based Atkinson cycle keeps the intake valves open longer then a typical engine allowing it to bleed off compression into the intake for an "ideal" compression pressure for its specific use. (Mpg and emissions mainly) For example all Toyota hybrids are Atkinson cycle and aimed for economy and emissions in a specified rpm range. The power loss this causes in the hybrids is easily made up by the electric motors. I am very interested to see what they do in the tacoma? Will it come equipped with a SC to make up the power? Not sure but I expect them to have better numbers then the 1GR or I'll be disappointed.... (Or at least the same with better MPG)

*Edit the more I think about it I think that's is a typo and it wont have an Atkinson's cycle engine. I haven't found that in any article other then the one you linked. not saying it isn't true, but I would be surprised for this application, it just doesn't make sense.

More details on the 2016...

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-toyota-tacoma-access-cab-revealed-along-with-more-details/

Manual transmission only available with the V6. Seems kind of strange, they have had a manual available with the 2.7L forever.

That is interesting... I wonder if it's just due to the lack of sales and numbers of the 2.7l model so they opted to run the same auto and keep it a set feature. Or it's a MPG game... That is the only article I have seen that in, bummer.

Either way I am excited for these to hit the lot and see what they are all about. If it where me I would wait until the new body style is just released, test drive them both back to back, then pick once you have been in them. Would hate to have one and want the other.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Man, what a fugly front end. I don't know what Toyotas designers are smoking, but I think they need to switch to something else.

sixstringsteve

I'd much rather have a 2015. I wonder if the prices of the 2015s will go up for the people who don't want the new gens. I wish they had announced a v6 diesel or a v8 in the tacoma. Not that they have a problem selling them right now, but that would really have them flying off the shelves.

It's typical toyota though. Make an ugly front end, then in 4-5 years release a version with a good looking front end to keep the line feeling fresh. That way they don't have to redesign anything significant for 10 years. Personally, I don't have a problem with not updating a rig much in 10 years, but it almost seems like they TRY to make the lines ugly for the first 4 years of any new generation. I wonder if they design it to look good, then slap something ugly on there for a bit.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I actually like the looks of the new body. I also like the new 4runner, so I'm weird like that.

Can't wait for more specs on the motor.

cackalak

I honestly don't care much about a diesel or V8 option. Diesels may have some MPG advantage, but there is more upkeep, higher fuel cost, etc. I'm also more than satisfied with the power in the 4.0L (or even the old 3.4L) and since the new engine is supposed to be more powerful, I'm fine with that. As long as they get the MPG up, I'll be happy. I'm also good with the styling. Better than what the new Nissan Titan looks like.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to get the '16 over the '15. The stripped down trims interest me more than the TRD versions. If the SR has vinyl floors, manual windows, etc. at a good price, I'll be all over that.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
moonroof and locking tailgate. That would be nice

I think I'll do a 2017. My warranty is up then, and after a year hopefully most of the quirks will have been figured out and aftermarket support will exist.

Last edited: