21 in July?

Seth

These go to 11
I know there are some Grand Junction boys around this forum.

We are looking at a trip in July or Aug out your way. My question is about temps on 21 road that time of year. I have not run it yet but the photos I have seen suggest that it has some shade and water that will control the temps. Or am I wrong? Will I be sweating balls? :eek:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The only time I've ever done 21 road was July 4th. It super sucked. The temps that day were in the one hundred and teens. Maybe it was an exceptionally hot day, but I wouldn't go back in July. Greg might have a better idea what the weather is normally like that time of year.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You're more than welcomed to head this way, I'd love to show you around! But we're usually just a few degrees cooler than Moab... July is going to be HOT.

21 Road is in a pretty deep canyon, so there's some relief from the sun, but it'll still be borderline unbearable.

Billings Canyon, another trail in the GJ valley, has a lot of exposure. It would be real hot mid-summer.

If you're willing to run something a less extreme, alot cooler and willing to drive a couple hrs more, I'd head to Ouray. It's beautiful!! Here's a Trip Report from the area-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=26765

As you can see, a stock 4x4 is more than enough, so it might not be what you're looking for.

Seth

These go to 11
Thanks for the input, and the offer to show us around.:) I am going to need to plan the trip for ealier/later in the year looks like. 21 is just one of the roads on my "gotta run it" list, that keep growing with the more people I meet. I am guessing the last week in sept or the first week in oct would be sweet but I am gettin hitched that week :D so it might have to wait till next spring.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
No problem, round up some of your friends & let me know when you're ready to come out here. So... your fiance wouldn't go for a Honeymoon of wheelin?! :p

Steve

Who Cares?
I agree with Greg. Living here in 'Junction for several years, I can tell you that we don't do 21 Rd much in July/August, and no way would I do Billings Canyon then. In addition to the hot temps, the sand gnats (aka Flying Teeth) are bad that time of year as well. September or later is perfect.

neagtea

Supporting Member
Are the sand knats the same critters that hang out at BFE and Coyote Cyn.?There is a big group going to Montrose Aug. 17 It is only 70 miles further than 21 from SLC. We have ran into the critters there. Use Industrial Bug spray with at least 25% DEET. It worked at Coyote on Memorial day.